Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 1:09:40 PM EDT
I have an Imbel recievered FAL built by Azex arms.  Unlike the last FAL I had I can't seem to get the gas piston out of its housing to clean it.  I know that the front of the system is supposed to rotate 180 degrees and then out pops the piston and spring. But this rifle has a tab on the button that won't allow me to rotate it.  See the pics since I can't adequately describe it.

For the life of me I can't figure out how the heck it comes off of there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Push in on the long side. Turn the plug counter clockwise (facing the plug from the barrel end, as you view it from your pictures) until the long side is parallel with the ground. You will turn it 270 degrees. The spring for the gas piston should push it out.

Rusty
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't, the plug won't rotate counter-clockwise.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the directions right from an F-N manual.

To Remove the gas plug, press in the plunger [marked with an "A"] of the gas plug, turn the gas plug a quarter turn clockwise, in this position, the plug will be pushed from its housing by the piston spring.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is the directions right from an F-N manual.

To Remove the gas plug, press in the plunger [marked with an "A"] of the gas plug, turn the gas plug a quarter turn clockwise, in this position, the plug will be pushed from its housing by the piston spring.

Shit, that means I have to take off the bipod and I really didn't want to do that.  Gives me an excuse to go buy a really big screwdriver though!  Thanks HappyJack97.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to turn it counter clock wise.
even with the bipod I think it should go.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You need to turn it counter clock wise.

Um... I know you're trying to be helpful, but as I stated before, it will not turn counter clockwise.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a DSA SA58 and I just removed the gas plug, push in turn counter clock wise, (to the left)
If you try to turn it clock wise it will hit the barrel,
Why wont yours turn counter clock?
Its the only way it will work on my DSA.
Good luck
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know why, but I push the plunger in and it just won't turn more than a tiny bit counter clockwise.  Turning it clockwise seems like the obvious alternative, but the plunger section is so long that it hits the bipod mount so I can't get that to work either.

I've been trying to get the bipod off, but that seems to be a real PITA. I need bigger tools it seems.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Um... disregard this thread and everything I've posted, for I am an idiot.  Seems that all it needed was to be jiggled a whole lot while trying to turn it CCW, and then it moved.  Sorry 'bout that guys.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Um... disregard this thread and everything I've posted...

Ok, want me to nuke it?
JK.
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Im glad it worked out/
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Im glad it worked out/

I suppose if I clean the gas system a little more often it won't be quite so sticky.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
As long as you're on the subject, have you managed to remove the bipod yet?  If that is an STG bipod, you will have a bitch of a time, unless you remove the castle nut first.  DSA makes a tool to remove this but I found that a large scre driver wedged into one of the teeth and then smacked with a hammer would loosen it.  Once it is loose, you can remove it with your fingers.  At that point, the large screws will be easy to remove.

Don't bugger up those screws.  If you haven't removed the castle nuts, you will.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As long as you're on the subject, have you managed to remove the bipod yet?  If that is an STG bipod, you will have a bitch of a time, unless you remove the castle nut first.  DSA makes a tool to remove this but I found that a large scre driver wedged into one of the teeth and then smacked with a hammer would loosen it.  Once it is loose, you can remove it with your fingers.  At that point, the large screws will be easy to remove.

Don't bugger up those screws.  If you haven't removed the castle nuts, you will.  Ask me how I know.

Once I figured out the gas system I gave up trying to take off the bipod.  It seemed like it would be a pain in the ass, so I'm not going to mess with it unless I have to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top