Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2020 9:54:20 AM EDT
Anyone have a line on any of these?
I'm having trouble finding any in stock anywhere.

Please help and old man...
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just a comment... they look neat but suck for shooting....by the time you are done with the first mag the mirage blocks your sight picture...

I have NO IDEA how they overlooked that during the trials....
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a comment... they look neat but suck for shooting....by the time you are done with the first mag the mirage blocks your sight picture...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh... I hadn't thought of that.  Laws of physics says that you are probably right.
I'll have to stew a bit more over this decision.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I totaly got when I first got an M14...this is AWESOME>>>>  

(one mag later) I can't see the front sight post...this SUCKS!  

Went with a wood one then finally back to the perfect solid USGI fiberglass one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Done
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They didn't overlook it. That's why issued M14s didn't have slotted handguards at least in 1967 - 1970. How do I know? I had an M14 in Basic Training and AIT Armor as did my whole company and not a slotted HG in the bunch. Then, when I got to Germany, I took over the arms room for a short time after Armorer training in Grafenwoehr where my arms room had 350 M14s and a not a slotted HG in the bunch either. Finally, as a Tank Commander in RVN from Sep 1967 to June 1968 when I got wounded, we were assigned to the 25 Inf Div (Electric Strawberry) and some troops had M14s there and again, not a slotted HG there either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't overlook it. That's why issued M14s didn't have slotted handguards at least in 1967 - 1970. How do I know? I had an M14 in Basic Training and AIT Armor as did my whole company and not a slotted HG in the bunch. Then, when I got to Germany, I took over the arms room for a short time after Armorer training in Grafenwoehr where my arms room had 350 M14s and a not a slotted HG in the bunch either. Finally, as a Tank Commander in RVN from Sep 1967 to June 1968 when I got wounded, we were assigned to the 25 Inf Div (Electric Strawberry) and some troops had M14s there and again, not a slotted HG there either.
They were initially fielded with them in the early 60's..the USMC had slotted guards in '64.

Later production had solid.  Yours were later production or replaced with solids under a TB advisory.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
In stock at Sherluk...

http://www.sherluk.com/m14.php
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They were initially fielded with them in the early 60's..the USMC had slotted guards in '64.
Later production had solid.  Yours were later production or replaced with solids under a TB advisory.
View Quote
This.

First they were walnut (T44E4), which charred and burned, so was quickly replaced with vented fiberglass, probably late in 1960.
Then later they realized mirage was a problem so they went solid. The solid ones are also less fragile.
The vents/slots were eliminated after the drawing date of October 18, 1961. (Probably beginning early 1962.)
Source: https://www.m14forum.com/threads/m14-original-color-hg.35129/#post-213055

You're not likely to have a problem with mirage in only one mag. It depends on environmental conditions, the wind, etc. but you'd need extreme worst case to have obstruction within a single mag.

I use a vented handguard on an M14A1 because it looks cooler.
(It does help cool the barrel a little too.)

M14A1 20 rounds offhand bursts

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The M14 originally had wood HGs briefly, the tried the slotted kind that not only had mirage issues but also were rather fragile, then the adopted the perfect kind
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I ended up going with a plastic repro one when my solid GI fiberglass one cracked.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dang, is it really that bad? I bought one (I will put the link in as soon as I remember where I got it) but haven't installed it yet. I want to shoot the Scout in its stock config before I do anything with it.
I guess I deleted all of my emails from all the companies I brought my M14 parts from. I know I bought a fiberglass solid one from Numrich. They stated on the description that it doesn't come with ta clip, but mine came with one.
Here's a company I found that SAYS they have them but I don't see a pic in the description.
Slotted handguard
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a vented one I am not using.  I've never mounted it but picked it up about 20 years.  IM me if there is any interest.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a vented one I am not using.  I've never mounted it but picked it up about 20 years.  IM me if there is any interest.
View Quote

IM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top