Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2018 2:38:14 PM EDT
I love my M1A and I've got a Mini-14 I've set up as a Mini M14; both of which I'd rather shoot than my ARs.  It's true I'm not that big a fan of the AR platform even though I have 3, including a longer range A4 model.  That said, if you were going to consider a longer range shooter, would you lean to a Springfield M1A in 6.5 Creedmore or an AR15 in 224 Valkyrie?

It looks to me like the Valkyrie's advantages is it's lower recoil and cheaper platform and ammo costs but I think that all would agree that out at 1000 yds, the Creedmore rules.  What say the hive?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally.. I love the 6.5.. the Swede and the Creedmore. If you love the M1A platform.. then go for it, you only live once. I think most would argue that the AR can be more accurate, and for the most part, I'd agree. But if we're only talking 1 MOA or so, meh..
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Neither, 6.5 Grendel.

But of those two, it'd be the 224 V.

The AR is just hands down a better platform.

It is much easier to make it* accurate and maintain that accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an AR-10 in 6.5 CM,,, it's good,

But also went for a 6.5 Cm in a Bolt gun, Savage 6.5 Cm GRS. the funny right hand stock one.

Great shooter! and no pressure problems. of a gas Gun.

the .224 VAL,,,,,,, hmmm might be a flash in the pan.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you going to use them for? Purely paper punchers? Hunting? Both?

Shot my friends, fathers new .224 Valkyrie rifle over the weekend, interesting recoil impulse. It's a tad more than a 5.56, but more dull, not as sharp, it's worth mentioning there was no muzzle device on the rifle. Zero experience with 6.5 of any variant. But if I wasn't really trying for shooting 1000m or hunting larger than white tail deer sized game. The .224V AR would definitely be my choice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Bolt gun in .224V?  Or 6.5?

Wow, the valkyrie is pretty reasonable, price wise....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019612988/federal-american-eagle-ammunition-224-valkyrie-75-grain-total-metal-jacket
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you going to use them for? Purely paper punchers? Hunting? Both?

Shot my friends, fathers new .224 Valkyrie rifle over the weekend, interesting recoil impulse. It's a tad more than a 5.56, but more dull, not as sharp, it's worth mentioning there was no muzzle device on the rifle. Zero experience with 6.5 of any variant. But if I wasn't really trying for shooting 1000m or hunting larger than white tail deer sized game. The .224V AR would definitely be my choice.
View Quote
6.5 is one of those mystical thunderbolt cartridges that just seems to do stuff that it theoretically shouldn't be able to. The 6.5x55 Swede has taken a lot of big game.. even in Africa. On paper in doesn't look that impressive.. in the field, different story.  There's a reason there is a fan boy following, its worth checking out!
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up one of the springfield m1a in 6.5cm. So far I really like it.  It doesn't shoot as accurate as my 6.5cm bolt guns but it does consistently shoot moa or a little under depending on ammo. Minimal recoil too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top