Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2018 6:12:01 PM EDT
FedEx should deliver my first M1 Garands tomorrow.  I ordered 2 Service Grades from the CMP.

What should I look for when I get them?  Any distinguishing marks?

UPDATE:  They're here and now with pics

Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I would avoid getting caught up in wood condition. Focus on the crown, disassemble the rifles and make note of what parts you have. I just took my field grade apart and am busy removing old grease, dust, grass, etc...

Found out I am missing a handgurad pin and the rear sight was so tight that windage would not move. Nothing major!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Garands sort of grow on you.

I bought my first one, a field grade SA (showed up with the original barrel).

Well, one turned into two more.  One of those was made the same month as the first one I bought - didn't know that till I got it home.  Drove to the North Store to buy those two.

Then two more came along.  A couple H&R's that left the North Store as barreled receivers and became father/son projects where we searched the internet and at gun shows buying H&R parts to build them up.

Then, later, two more.  Another H&R and another SA.

I think I'm in remission though, haven't picked up another one in several years.

They do grow on you as you get more familiar with them and learn to handle/shoot them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well they arrived.  Both Springfields, one is a Dec 1943 and the other is a Dec 1956.  Looks like new wood on both of them which is fine with me, I plan on shooting these babies not keeping them in a safe
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Wooohooooo!!!  Congrats!!!!!

Did you get some M2 ball?

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well they arrived.  Both Springfields, one is a Dec 1943 and the other is a Dec 1956.  Looks like new wood on both of them which is fine with me, I plan on shooting these babies not keeping them in a safe
View Quote
How close is your Dec serial to mine?
SA 2417277.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics man!
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#7]
What date did you order? Wondering because I sent away for 2 Service grades at the beginning of the month. And we need pics!
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What date did you order? Wondering because I sent away for 2 Service grades at the beginning of the month. And we need pics!
View Quote
They received my order Dec. 11th
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top