Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2002 6:43:52 PM EDT
Good news!  E mail from dealer tells me  my new Springfield M1A with black synthetic stock is shipping to my FFL on 10/21/02!!  Now, other than the obvious, lots of ammo and mags what else do I need to buy for my new friend to keep it healthy and enhance its function.   Also does anyone have an opinion on the "scope it out"(for $130.00 you get 6x40 govt. scope,mount and rings) promotion that Springfield is running through the end of the month.  Is this a good deal and worth getting??    thanks in advance for any input!
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]

grease.

( I use the milspec stuff)

I tried the SA 4x14x56 (gen1) ART scope, on the 2 screw SA mount... too damn bulky for my tastes.  SO I pulled that setup off and am running a clean GI rifle, I like it much better.   I am thinking about getting a smith (?) or SWAN picatinny mount to put an M68 on it... but that will be some time down the road if I even do it.

Stick with iron sights, you'll get a kick out of it (literally)

have fun!
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
QD Stud by Springfield. A.R.M.S. #18, 19A(not ACOG),#21 STANAG Rings

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Geen18,

I would suggest that you not scope your M1A.  I have tried with limited success.  Unless you buy the M21, Whitefeather Edition or the IDF M14, I would not scope.  The rifle with iron sight can routinely hit man size targets well out to 700 yards.

If you choose to scope, then go all out.  Get the Brookfield scope mount and McMillian tactical stock.  This way you will get it right the first time.  That is a 700 dollar investment in your already costly rifle.  But hey it's worth it.

I hope this helps.

In regards to mags, go to coledistributing.com.  They have a 10 pack for 360 and the mags are of excellent quality.

Max
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
This is all great stuff for cleaning. It's from Sinclair Int.www.sinclairintl.com
Servicerifle rod 25"(30CF25), it's for .30 cal bores, and just the right length. It's alot better than the standard .22 cal rod that's 3 feet long. Parker-Hale style jag(30PH). 2-1/4" patches(CP214) for a tight fit on that jag. This stuff is from www.creedmoorsports.com. Muzzle guide(C1077),Receiver insert(C1055), gas cylinder wrench(C1052). and a military bolt take down tool.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good news!  E mail from dealer tells me  my new Springfield M1A with black synthetic stock is shipping to my FFL on 10/21/02!!  Now, other than the obvious, lots of ammo and mags what else do I need to buy for my new friend to keep it healthy and enhance its function.   Also does anyone have an opinion on the "scope it out"(for $130.00 you get 6x40 govt. scope,mount and rings) promotion that Springfield is running through the end of the month.  Is this a good deal and worth getting??    thanks in advance for any input!

Tim,
First start out with some mags from www.coledistributing.com/  Get the cheap ones as they are in almost new condition.  Call because i believe there was a cheaper mag than the $36 one listed on the web site.  Also get a bore guide from www.shooters-supply.com or one similar to it.  I wouldnt scope it just yet.  Shoot it once or twice than see if you still feel it is necessary.  I bought my ARMS mount and its still in its sealed plastic bag.
The brookfield mount or smith mount allow you to use a scope with the irons as a back up, with the ARMS mount you will be prohibited from doing that.
Cant really think of anything else at the moment.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I highly recommend the Otis kits for cleaning your rifle chamber to muzzle rather than the other way around. It'll reduce muzzle wear and keep the gunk out of the action. The kits are nice and compact, so they can fit on your belt or in a pack with ease. They are now standard issue to the USMC.

www.otisgun.com

Just checked their Web site, and it seems to be on the fritz.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
A second on the Otis kit. It is very handy. You can buy a complete kit or order the parts separate. The Otis patches are okay, but I am not all that thrilled by them. You can use regular patches with the kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top