Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2011 8:43:50 AM EDT
My redeployment purchase is going to be an M1A scout in walnut and was curious if anyone uses their M1A as their hunting rifle?

I will be setting mine up to be a general purpose, hog rifle and just a fun rifle to shoot.

Pictures of yours?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I used mine that way in the distant past.. Since I shot it so much in matches and was both accurate and experienced with it out to 600 yards it seemed to be a natural for use in wide open spaces.  

The irony here was that the first antelope I shot with it was one I came upon as I topped a small ridge - he started running straight up out of the draw on the other side and the range was about 50 yards.  It was an instictive snap shot right out of my basic training days and I hit him in the spine and down through the vitals.  The bads news is he rolled back dwn into the draw and was more work to drag out.  

So while my intent was to use the rifle at longer range, it turned out to be very handy, NM sights and all, for a short range moving target shot that woudl have been almost impossible with long range optics.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I took mine out last year but this year I am switching to a Savage bolt action 06'. I might take the M1A out as a backup gun though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought about using mine when the barrel on my old 700 '06 got tired. I couldnt get it to group with lead free ammo that we have to use here. Oh well, just had to get a new '06 . Im sure that it would have worked fine if I could use normal ammo.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I use mine for hunting.

It's been returned to it's original floppy stock, and I've mounted an Ultimak on it to accept a long eye relief scope in Scout configuration.  Haven't seen a damn deer in 2 years (while hunting SETX)
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I use mine.  It's a Loaded model.  I have an ARMS mount with a Swarovski scope w/ the BDC.  I've killed 6 - 8 deer with it, two this past year.  The farthest shot was 300 yds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
When I lived where I could hunt with a rifle the M1A is what I used.  Old Bushnell 4X12 with a BDC.  Worked great.  Never used the BDC for deer hunting as they kept showing up close once season came in.

The deer can't tell the difference between a 165 boat tail out of an M1A or a Modle 700.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I DO!
First pic is my old setup, Troy MCS with ACOG
I shoot 168gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip for hunting.
The second pic is my newer setup
Sage Mod 1 with Aimpoint and magnifier.
I have since put an ACOG on the Mod 1.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Before I came to this land of rust and rot, I lived in the land of riflemen where typical deer hunting ranges start at 200M and go out from there as opposed to 200 meters here in America's taint being a fairly long shot.  I used my DMR clone for deer hunting on our family farm with kills on deer out to 665 meters (as ranged by my Lecia 1200) as my personal best.  My hunting area (a sunflower field across the ravine) began at 200 meters and went out to 800 so it was sort of like shopping for venison on the hoof.  When herds can count up towards a hundred grazing on old sunflower heads, it was a choice of which one was the better buck and not necessarily the longest range. Anyways, here's a picture of my DMR clone.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Done it and love it

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Hunt with an M1A?!?!

I plan on it... Got some hogs and audad in the Palo Duro Canyon callin my name
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I've hunted with my Crazy Horse and SOCOM.  I've also hunted with my Scout but haven't shot anything with it yet.  I've killed a couple of deer w/ the CH and Hornady 150gr SSTs and I really like them on deer.  

The SOCOM has had mostly hog and coyote duty, and it's performed well with SA surplus, Rem Core Lokt, and the SSTs.  I like FMJs or Core Lokt on hogs, as the polymer tips don't get enough penetration on the big ones.

Downside?  The CH is HEAVY, and not a lot of fun to pack around all day.  The SOCOM is too loud w/ muzzle break.  That said, I'm still using both, the old 270 that I grew up on just isn't nearly as much fun, esp. on hogs.  5 rounds and turning a bolt won't lay them down like an M14 type!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#12]
My usual deer slayed is a sporterized (or bubb'ed to some) 1917 '06, but I'll take my SOCOM out when I'm on one of my stands in the woods.  Haven't scored with it yet, but only because I'm trying to be choosy.  Last year I had planty of does and button bucks about 5 ft away but I was waiting for the right one.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I took a SAI loaded twice. First year I did that I was wearing a pair of shorts and a tee shirt in Nov. Wicked hot that year for Wisconsin! I saw no deer. Second time I had it and my former Colt 6724 rifle. I leveled an 8pt buck opening day with the Colt and hurt myself the second day carrying the M1a. I slipped on a steep slop and injured my leg on a exposed rock. My hunting was done the rest of the season. I'll probably take the M21 out this year.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used mine for years and I can't count how many deer I have taken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top