Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2009 2:39:19 PM EDT
I assume these acronyms refer to the manufacturer?  What are they?  Any reason I'd want HRA or WRA instead of SA?

All they have in stock online are SA (I'm going for service grade), just wondering...
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
In terms of function, imo they will all be about the same. Winchesters had the worst finish or surface "smoothness" out of all of them. For whatever reason, I love the winchesters, and the ihc's, but they all rock, you will be very happy with the springfield imo.

Oh, and the numbers game, more springfields made than any other manufacturer, but again, springfields are great.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe CMP has any Winnie's any longer.  Go for a HRA.  Less made and some will argue a better finished product.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
There were less WRA, HRA, and IHC Garands made than SA.

Function is the same.  Winchesters were only made during WWII if that is important to you.

Get one of each.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In terms of function, imo they will all be about the same. Winchesters had the worst finish or surface "smoothness" out of all of them. For whatever reason, I love the winchesters, and the ihc's, but they all rock, you will be very happy with the springfield imo.

Oh, and the numbers game, more springfields made than any other manufacturer, but again, springfields are great.

Yep, what he said. I'll just add that HRA is Harrington and Richardson Arms Company. If I remember correctly they started making them during the Korean war (but none made it over there). There were little improvements that were made to the Garand design over the years and therefore the HRA M1's had these. Not that any of the earlier Garands are bad or anything but that is a perk of the HRA and later rifles if you wanna look at it that way. So far my only Garand is an HRA which I love and I'd like to pick up a Springfield some day.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys, I figured it was manufacturer.

Springfield is fine with me, and that's all they are offering currently for the full size M1 in Service grade, so there's not a lot of choice right now.

Shame they don't have any 1903's available, I was hoping to pick one of those up as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top