Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:18:36 PM EDT
I am a dirt poor college student. I was recently looking over the CMP site, and saw that they have rack grade springfield M1 Garands for 445. They sell it without the stock for 375, barreled receivers for 275 and stripped receivers for 100. From people who own these rifles, are they any good? Or would I be better off buying a lower receiver and sending it off to fulton when I graduate college? I know CMP is running out, and I know I definitely want an M1 garand in the future. I was brought up shooting my dad's mint condition rifle that he bought for $150 20 years ago.

While I don't really plan on shooting NRA high power anytime soon, I would like to keep that option open in the future. Any help is appreciated!

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The SA Service Grade is your best value.  I don't believe they're taking orders for HRAs.  If you have to replace the stock or barrel on a Rack Grade, you'll have the cost of a Service Grade into it.  There used to be some nice USGI and Dane - returned Rack Grades available but that was a few years ago, when Greek RGs could be had for $295.00.  Good hunting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The SA Service Grade is your best value.  I don't believe they're taking orders for HRAs.  If you have to replace the stock or barrel on a Rack Grade, you'll have the cost of a Service Grade into it.  There used to be some nice USGI and Dane - returned Rack Grades available but that was a few years ago, when Greek RGs could be had for $295.00.  Good hunting.

Well, in the long term future, I wouldn't mind replacing the barrel. Also, if I wait long enough, I'll inhered the mint condition M1 garand since I'm the only one in the family who likes guns. So as long as the rifle works reliably, I'm not that concerned about the barrel's condition.

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just looking at the CMP site again, and noticed that they are selling service grade barreled lowers for 275. Has anyone put one of these together? Seems like it would make a good low cost investment and future project.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you have the parts already laying around or are very savy at getting parts for cheap, you will spend more money by building on a barreled receiver(no upper or lowers with Garands, just one receiver.) If you did get a barreled receiver to build on, it's a lot of fun and easy to do. Your best bet is to get a whole rifle from them, whether it be a rack, field, or service grade. I hear that some of the barreled receivers for $100 have been a great score, but it's still a gamble on getting on that's pitted or needs a new barrel.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I looked at getting a barreled receiver as my first M1. After running the numbers, the Service Grade was the best option. I have an HRA Service Grade on the way. I also picked up a Woodless Winchester Rack Grade (only option to get a Winchester at the time) to build into a .308. Again, even for building a .308, it was cheaper to get a complete rifle (less stock) than just a barreled receiver. A little more up front but not as much in the long run. Good luck!

Notice on the CMP site in reference to the $100 barreled receivers: "These may or may not be able to be built into safe, shootable rifles. THESE ARE SOLD AS-IS." The barrels on these are more often than not useless. So, you will have to rebarrel at a minimum.

The only way to insure you get a decent barreled receiver is to go for the $275 option. Why not go for a complete rifle for not too much more?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Every rack grade Garand I have received has been just that, rack grade. The rifles functioned fine but all were in need of new barrels. The best of them shoots 6in groups at 100yds which is twice the size of the groups all of my service grades are capable of when I do my part. Putting a Garand together from parts is a very satisfying experience but the cost of the tools needed and a parts kit to finish a barreled receiver will add up quick. Get a service grade SA now while they are still available by mail order. It will likely take 6 months to receive it and you can save up the money during that time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I would have a really tough time budgeting for a complete rack grade, much less a service grade. I might think of getting a non-stocked rack grade and buy an unfinished stock as a project further down the road. I have the patience to wait on gun broker and ebay for good deals for parts.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The Woodless Winchester RG I received was a complete rifle (including rear sights) less the stock.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like you talking about a RG barreled receiver? If so, you are correct, they do not come with rear sights.

However, the RG Woodless Garands are complete rifles (including sights), just less the stock.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, the RG Woodless Garands are complete rifles (including sights), just less the stock.

not any more, the North store has a bunch of less wood and none have rear sights.  I asked and was told thats how they ship now.

Correct, I was at the North Store today and they ahd no rear sights
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

not any more, the North store has a bunch of less wood and none have rear sights.  I asked and was told thats how they ship now.

Correct, I was at the North Store today and they ahd no rear sights
Why would they take the sights off and advertise it as a complete rifle minus stock? That makes no sense to me.

Just reread it and saw it. So much for that.

ETA: Would a field grade be a decent shooter?

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, after some more thought, how good are the barrels on service grade? Would a new barrel be significantly more accurate? If so, I might get a rack grade with the intention of rebarreling in the future.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, after some more thought, how good are the barrels on service grade? Would a new barrel be significantly more accurate? If so, I might get a rack grade with the intention of rebarreling in the future.

I'll install a new Douglas barrel for you for $250 - just an option to consider.

Wow, that's quite a deal! I wish I had the money for that right now. Basically, what I'm looking at is about 600 from ASU since my scholarship covers more than tuition. It looks like so far I only have to buy 150 in books, since most of my classes use books from last semester. If I'm lucky, I should have a good bit of cash left over, and can save up pennies for a rack grade relatively easily. But unfortunately, I don't think I can swing a new barrel right away.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll install a new Douglas barrel for you for $250 - just an option to consider.

Wow, that's quite a deal! I wish I had the money for that right now. Basically, what I'm looking at is about 600 from ASU since my scholarship covers more than tuition. It looks like so far I only have to buy 150 in books, since most of my classes use books from last semester. If I'm lucky, I should have a good bit of cash left over, and can save up pennies for a rack grade relatively easily. But unfortunately, I don't think I can swing a new barrel right away.

I've been there. If you get a rack grade, send it to me and I'll install the barrel. You can pay me when you get the money.  No big deal if it means I get to infect a new shooter with Garanditis.
Wow that's a generous offer! I should know for certain if my calculations for scholarship funds were correct in about 3 weeks. So long as I don't have any surprise book expenses, I'm getting the rack grade for sure. Thanks again!  
Plus, by the time it actually arrives, I'll probably have plent of money to pay you for the barrel.

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:52:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Big Bore wins the nice guy of the week award.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I was dirt poor when I bought my first CMP garand,  a Danish racker.  It shot just fine, but wasn't going to win any accuracy contests.  I saved up some more cash, and sent it to Springfield Armory inc. for a rebarrel and repark a few years later.  When it was all said and done, I spent more money than for a Service grade rifle, to make a service grade rifle out of a racker.  I didni't mind...I'm a garand geek.  If you want a quality shooter out of the box, without having to worry about the cost of rebarrelling later, then order a Service Grade - you won't be disappointed.  That being said, one of my best shooters is a racker less wood I HAND PICKED at the South store.  If you are able to visit one of the stores, you could possibly save some coin by sifting through the rackers (when available) with a MW/TE gauge.  That's what I did.  Sometimes, the racker you ordered via mail will have a nice barrel.   If you spend any time over on the CMP boards, you'll see tons of stories like that - guys that got Service grade spec rifles when they ordered rackers.  That is the exception, not the rule.  If it were me, I'd save money and order a service grade...do it right the first time.  Your results may vary...
Whatever you decide, GET ONE FROM CMP!!  They ain't making GI garands anymore!
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
If I were you, I'd buy the most expensive rifle I could afford - if a rack grade, so be it - and buy as much of the Greek M2 as I could, and go out and have fun.  No, you won't win any matches, but you'll scare the heck out of a bunch of tin cans, milk jugs, and dirt clods.  Then, when you get out of college and are making some money, go send the ol' warhorse off for a re-barrel and a new stock.

The sooner you get your hands on one of these pieces of history, the better, 'cause sooner than later they'll all be gone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#23]
OK you say you can save pennies.
1. the only thing availible in stores are rack grades from what has been posted on the CMP forums.
2. service grade is 620ish shipped.
3. It Will take no less than 120 days and as long as 180 days for you to actually recieve your riffle.
4. Mail in your order, with your requirements, make sure you list any opptional riffles or special serial# range.   ex. WWII ser# Korean# range. Will take a SA SG with new wood ect ect.

Ok now that you ordered, you CC will not be charged until order is close to shipping. 120 days to save.

So go, apply for a CC with 1000.00 limit. Order a Service grade and a few case of ammo. Reminder that there is a 10 case limit on 30 06 ammo. CMP only has the 192round cans on clips right now.
Below is a pic of my SA SG 1955 ish garand.    First 8 shots for function, next 8 for Zero  16 shots shown in target 6pm Thursday light rain. I am not a rifle shooter. Have not shot a rifle in three years. Ammo was HXP lot 4045-71

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I was at the NorthStore two days ago
The only have FieldGrades and Special Service Grades, Only Rack Gardes are about 12 without wood. Mostlt carbines fill te racks. Slim pickins but did see a few Field Grades that had Muzzle Wwear of just over 1 . With alittle work on the wood, they woud make real nice rifles
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#25]
If you plan to go to the stores CALL first. I almost took the 10hour drive to Ohio. I called 1hr into my trip............they actually where closed for the week to catch up on mail orders

I ended up going to the springfield museum in massachusetts some nice stuff there, then over to S&W. Then I hit every gun shop on the way home.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Some amazing generosity in this thread.

I just got my Service grade in the mail, ordered in March, worth the wait.

I will hopefully get out tomorrow to shoot, my two boys are anxiously awaiting to shoot the gun from Call of Duty!
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn, I  can't find my CMP certificate! My dad and I took the course together a year or so ago, and since he already took it 20 years ago he misplaced the certificates. And since he doesn't want me spending money on guns, he won't help me look for them. Does CMP get records on everyone who attended qualifying matches, or am I SOL and have to take the course again?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 4:26:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you plan to go to the stores CALL first. I almost took the 10hour drive to Ohio. I called 1hr into my trip............they actually where closed for the week to catch up on mail orders    /snip/

"Sorry folks, parks closed. The moose out front should have told you."

I would say go ahead and order the rack grade.  Who knows, you may get a good shooter.  If not, it can always be rebarreled.  

I went through the same debate about 2 years ago and ordered a rack grade (Greek return) when they were about $395.00.  Expecting the worse, I received a nice 5.8mil Springfield rifle with original beat up walnut stock.  All parts, except for the HRA bolt and gas plug, were period Springfield parts and the barrel date conformed to the receiver date. It was well worn, and I had Jim Swartz rework the op rod.  Refinished the stock and put a new crown on the barrel and it will shoot fist sized groups at 100yds.  Best money I ever spent.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow, that looks pretty nice. As I said, I'm thinking about a rack grade that I can have rebuilt sometime in the future if I decided to try out NRA high power type shooting. So far, my expenses are looking good. If I have the money to stash away, I'll do it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Most Rack Grades dont look near that good. A big percentage of them have firewood for stocks. Just dont want you to be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I know. If I get a rack grade, I'll get it with the intent of buying a new stock and barrel when I can afford it. I am curious though, is a field grade with the extra money over a rack grade?

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know. If I get a rack grade, I'll get it with the intent of buying a new stock and barrel when I can afford it. I am curious though, is a field grade with the extra money over a rack grade?

Sure, just like a Service Grade is worth the "extra" money over a Field Grade.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK you say you can save pennies.
1. the only thing availible in stores are rack grades from what has been posted on the CMP forums.

I talked to some guys who just got back from the North Store.  They normally come back with at least 2 or 3 each.  The condition was so poor that they did not bring back a single one.  They said that the barrels sucked up the muzzle gauges.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Wow, that sucks. I wonder if I ought to just buy the barreled receiver with the service grade barreled receiver, and then buy a rack grade to strip for parts later? Since my class load is light compared to last year, I'm going to try to get a part time job at ASU. But if that doens't pan out, buying a rack grade is going to be very hard to afford. I mean shit, I need to eat!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, unfortunately, due to certain things coming up (school, living and girlfriend expenses) I don't have the money to order an M1. However, my dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I halfway jokingly said an M1 garand. He asked me why, and I told him I wanted one rifle that will keep me happy through college and do everything I want to do, including heavy-metal class in 3-gun, C&R matches and an intro rifle to NRA Highpower. He told me that's the first smart/reasonable gun request I've ever made while growing up, and that he'd seriously think about it. He said he'll probably fund a Rack grade, but might feel extra generous and fund a service grade. I'm pretty darned excited!

So, I'm getting together the necessary materials. I'm going to join the Garand Collector's Association and get the match director at the junior smallbore program I attend to sign off on my marksmanship form. I'm wondering, when it asks for a copy of my birth certificate, do I need to make a copy of my original, or do I need some sort of official copy? I want to get that squared away asap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top