Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 10:29:04 PM EDT
I can find good prices on m1 barrels but I don't want to hassle with. the cost of the tool for a one time job. dose anyone have a source on who can do this work for me affordably?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]

I don't know about affordable, but Fulton armory will do just about anything to your M1 including rebarrel it.

I believe Adco firearms will as well. Their shop prices are on their web site.

Both will do a great job.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
A fellow named Ted Brown, down Orygun way has a great reputation as a M14 Armorer.

He won't cost you a arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had several M1 Garands rebarreled by Orion 7 Enterprises, if you have your own barrel they used to charge around $50.00 to do this service. You can look them up on the internet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
SAI can...
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
A fellow named Ted Brown, down Orygun way has a great reputation as a M14 Armorer.

He won't cost you a arm and a leg.

Ted charges $135 just for installation. That does not include a barrel. That's expensive to me.
Warbird charges half that and had barrels in stock. He's building my NM M1 right now.
Also an excellent M14 armorer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to rebarrel it?  Is it shot out?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]
well it has a two piece modified 03a4 barrel. I knoe this for sure because of the joint where the thing was slived with the m1 garand barrel stub and the fact that its a two groove barrel only remington made those for 03 springfields. even then it shoots 1.3-1.4 moa with m2 ball at 300 yards. its still accurate but I would like to get a real m1 barrel installed. Especially now that this one has over 3500 rounds through it I'm sure it shot better when Ifirst got it. the throat isn't badly worn but there are strange erosion patterns in the corners of the grooves near the throat. they look like cracks or soemthing that run alongside the corners of the grooves for about .5" It still shoots well. I've really wanted to get a marlin barrel because the 6 groove rifleing is different.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He wants to rechamber in .243 Win.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, I know, that's the caliber JC Garand wanted to make it in, IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was .276 Pederson.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
well it has a two piece modified 03a4 barrel. I knoe this for sure because of the joint where the thing was slived with the m1 garand barrel stub and the fact that its a two groove barrel only remington made those for 03 springfields. even then it shoots 1.3-1.4 moa with m2 ball at 300 yards. its still accurate but I would like to get a real m1 barrel installed. Especially now that this one has over 3500 rounds through it I'm sure it shot better when Ifirst got it. the throat isn't badly worn but there are strange erosion patterns in the corners of the grooves near the throat. they look like cracks or soemthing that run alongside the corners of the grooves for about .5" It still shoots well. I've really wanted to get a marlin barrel because the 6 groove rifleing is different.

You might want to look very closely at the receiver to make sure it's not a reweld (a lot of smiths won't work on them).  The 2-groove barrel often comes with with a reweld receiver.  The space between the receiver legs is where you look.  Discoloration, voids, stray grinding marks, wavy (less than straight) edges, discontinuous tooling marks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The .243 didn't exist when JC Garand designed the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It does now and it's a simple conversion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was .276 Pederson.

Yeah, that was it.  I knew it was .2xx but couldn't remember exactly which one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize that now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:29:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to look very closely at the receiver to make sure it's not a reweld (a lot of smiths won't work on them).  The 2-groove barrel often comes with with a reweld receiver.  The space between the receiver legs is where you look.  Discoloration, voids, stray grinding marks, wavy (less than straight) edges, discontinuous tooling marks.

yep unfortunately thats exactly what it looks like. who ever did it knew what they were doing though because intill I hit over 3k rounds in it I had no problems. I can tell because it has some messed up looking toll marks and some wavyness on the inside of the reciever.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:12:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice call 30Caliber, good looking out.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep unfortunately thats exactly what it looks like. who ever did it knew what they were doing though because intill I hit over 3k rounds in it I had no problems. I can tell because it has some messed up looking toll marks and some wavyness on the inside of the reciever.

Does it look like these? Top receiver in each pick is a cut and weld (obviously)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top