Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 1:00:01 PM EDT
I have a USGI parts kit coming in from SARCO that includes a new barrel.

I plan to have the barrel shortened down to 18.5"

Can I send it out to any gunsmith to shorten? or does the gas port need to be modified as well?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want it shortened so that it can use a USGI muzzle attachment, then I doubt just any gunsmith can do the work.  Most will bitch about cutting the barrel splines.

If you want to go with a SEI direct connect and gas lock front sight, then it is a more or less standard cut and thread operation that most can do.

The gas port may need to be opened up to the 0.090" range.  I might do that yourself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info. that is what i needed to know.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
More importantly than the barrel splines that is a problem and more than a few smith don't recommend it, is the chrome lining.
If it's a true usgi barrel your talking about cutting down than it's chromelined.
They've (the smith) got to be able to do it right or the chromelining can flake.

If the barrels in good condition with the value of a usgi barrel on the market, you'd probably be better off just selling it and buying a new Criterion 18.5 chromelined instead.

Criterions at LRB parts
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Save yourself the trouble and buy a new 18.5" bbl. They really don't cost so much in the long run.

Save the 22" for whatever pleases you.

That's my advice for whatever it's worth
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
i will make sure to check the lining of the barrel before i decide to do anything drastic.

sarco is shipping their usgi kits with new barrels. i am not sure what "new" means. i will find out soon. new-commercial vs new-usgi/chrome lined.

regards.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i will make sure to check the lining of the barrel before i decide to do anything drastic.

sarco is shipping their usgi kits with new barrels. i am not sure what "new" means. i will find out soon. new-commercial vs new-usgi/chrome lined.

regards.

I was looking on Sarco and see they don't say anything about the barrel other than new production. For the price if everything is actual excellent condition usgi I wouldn't be surprised if it's a basic non-chromelined as that would be less expensive. You could call them and ask.

Hopefully not, but if so you might consider just selling it either way and having a new 18.5 chromelined Criterion put on.
It's just less trouble I think and cost of having someone cut the other down and recrown it. You'll also get the splines properly done and ready for whatever flash suppressor or brake you want, besides just using a Smith DC Vortex.

I guess you'll have to see and find out what it will cost you from the smith your going to use, but the Criterion's are building a reputation of being the best current production M14 barrels there are too.
I know I prefer chromelined barrels and an 18.5 chromelined Criterion was made an 18.5 from the start.

Just my two cents, even though you really take get much for two cents these days.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#7]
true dat.

i think i will follow your advice and sell the barrel they send me. i do not like to mess around with my builds, cause in the end, i always end up upgrading them anyways.

EE the best place to sell an m14 barrel?

thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
true dat.

i think i will follow your advice and sell the barrel they send me. i do not like to mess around with my builds, cause in the end, i always end up upgrading them anyways.

EE the best place to sell an m14 barrel?

thanks.

Yep I'd list it here in the EE and on the M-14 Firingline forum in the market place.
There's always someone looking for parts for a reasonable price.

M14 Firinglineforum
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top