Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:01:31 PM EDT
I cleaned my CMP M1 last night. I have to say I was VERY happy with the condition of the finish.

Here are a few pics after the cleaning and one before and after.

The wood has a few nicks, which I expected, but the metal finish is sweet!

BEFORE -

AFTER -

Tomorrow, weather permitting, off to the range!  

P.S.

They look happy together.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it is in great shape.  What grade did you get?  What are the markings on it, if you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Looks like it is in great shape.  What grade did you get?  What are the markings on it, if you don't mind me asking.

Correct Grade, Harrington & Richardson.

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm#correct

Edited to correct link.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Figured it was one of the more expensive ones.  Looks beautiful.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Too clean.  Put a light film of CLP on the whole metal surface, and grease the usual points..

Nice rifle, though.

raf,

Do you have a good link with instructions on where to grease? This is my first M1 and a manual wasn't supplied.

Also, after shooting it tomorrow, I will probably clean it and store it away in the safe, probably for years. Any tips on storing a surplus rifle long-term? Other than coating it again in cosmoline.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Too clean.  Put a light film of CLP on the whole metal surface, and grease the usual points..

Nice rifle, though.

A big +1. Oil all parkerized parts (heavy coating) and let it soak in for 1 hour. Then wipe off all excess. That thing needs grease also.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Great looking rifle!! I wish my service grade H&R had looked that good when I got it. I can't complain cause the metal on my rifle was beautiful, but the stock I got was a real POS.
I have replaced it now with a WW2 era stock, and now it is great!!
Looks like you got a real nice rifle though!! Having a rifle in that kind of shape is worth a few extra bucks in my book.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
That is one awesome rifle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do you have a good link with instructions on where to grease? This is my first M1 and a manual wasn't supplied.

Thanks.

See chapter 5.  Damn, that is a nice M1.

www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/garand/m1.htm

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow! What a great score.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like you got a new rifle with a used trigger group.  Great score!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice looking rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top