Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:54:57 PM EDT
I just ordered a woodless Dane from CMP. I was hopeing that it would be in better condition than the Greek rack or field grade. Now after looking at what it's going to cost to put a stock on it maybe I would have been better to get a R/G just so that I would have the stock hardware.  Has anyone else got a woodless Dane lately?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i just ordered one too.  let's keep in touch and compare notes.  i've got a stock already, i restocked an existing unit, switching from the weirdo birch yellawood lookin' THING which came on my winchester with a mil-spec unit from the cmp.  i then boxed up the weird stock and stuck it in the back of the garage.  couldn't resist 295 for a garand, and ordered one.  

i was kind of thinking of putting the stock on it (ordered a metal kit already... $50) and shooting it for a while just to see if it's anything like the winchester at all... then if it's a crappy shooter, i kind of had plans to visit kinfolk in tennessee, and take the dane with me, and drop it and several hundred dollars off at dgr guns, then wait with baited breath for the BWT.  

**for what it's worth, i put myself in a can't lose situation.  if i get lucky with a good one, i'm good for  the time being with a weird stock, if not, plan B for a rebuild is always available.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Tommygs,

Any idea how long it will take before it ships? I sent in my paper work on 03/10.

Where did you get your metal kit from and did it come all the parts? Alot of the metal kits I see on the net don't look like they have the parts that go in the stock. I checked with S/G and they are back ordered until 04/01 and their kit didn't look like it had those parts either.

Keep me posted if your comes in.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I would change the order to USGI Rack Grade with wood and take the couple of months wait on it.  The Dane Rack Grades less wood are reportedly "bottom of the bucket" in regards to quality of the barrels in them.  They are supposedly as advertised - high TE and high MW.  You might luck out and still get a decent barrel in a regular Rack Grade.  If you get one with decent TE but the Muzzle Wear is a little high, you should be able to recrown the barrel and get reasonable accuracy out of it.  I just got rid of a Dane Racker, it was TE 4 and MW of 3 when I got it.  I recrowned it with the Garand recrowning tool that Midway and Brownells sells for around $50 (neighbor has one) and it easily shot 2-3" groups at 100yards with surplus ammo, and slightly under 2" with LC brass loaded with H4895 powder.  

The one advantage you can get in a Dane RGLW, though, is to request lock bar rear sights.  Many have them still attached since they were primarily WWII rifles sent to Denmark.  CMP will try to honor your request if possible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
well, i sent mine out last week.  week of the 1st of March, no posting of status yet that i can see.

my order was complex.  a .22, a woodless dane, 2x service grades, ammo, yada yada yada...

hasn't even posted at this point.  

i'll keep you guys posted...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
To give you an idea of how long it will take, I just goy my order (two Garands and a 1903) two days ago and this was roughly the waiting process.

Mailed it out.
Payment issued by credit card roughly 4-5 days later.
Order posted two weeks after being mail out.
Order being Processed about 5 days after being posted.
Order shipped 3-4 days after processing.
Order received the next day.

It took aobut 3.5 weeks total from when the envelope went into the post office to when the rifle showed up at my door.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
They are extremely busy at the CMP lately. There were 4000 orders for the few M1 Carbine receivers that they put up and they have to contact everyone who did not get one as well as the lucky few. Add that to the regular orders for Garands and it is amazing they get things out as fast as they do.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Lancew,
Now you have me thinking. I just tried to call CMP and change my order to a rack but it was to late in the day they close at 4:30 EST. Monday I will be on the phone and change it if I can.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lancew,
Now you have me thinking. I just tried to call CMP and change my order to a rack but it was to late in the day they close at 4:30 EST. Monday I will be on the phone and change it if I can.

Actually their phone message says their hours are 7am to 4pm cst. I called a 7:10 tx time and they were there. Best customer service in the industry.

I just got a field grade. It shoots great, stock has very few dings. I am not happy with the handguards(a little rough and cracked). The only problem I have had is an intermentant early clip ejection problem. Talked to the armourer and we figured the clip spring is weak which I was replacing any way. If the rifle still malfunctions they will send new internals so.....testing the rifle when new spring comes in.

ETA: trouble was a short clip latch spring. Rifle now shoots perfectly, as for the shooter.........
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Called and up graded my order to a rack grade.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
damn, y'all.  

i did too.  upgraded to a field grade s.a. for $100 more.  

now i'm going to have a stock and a metal set coming.  have to start looking around for a receiver and barrel.

wonder where i'm going to search...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
peer pressure
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Garanditis is a hopeless addiction.  I am a happy junky, patting my arm, ready for the next "fix".  I have almost restored a mid-43 Winchester - when you start ordering small parts at $50 a whack (I've got a windage knob on the way right now), you realize that the addiction has gotten the best of you.  I got to examine and hold a "gas trap" Garand about 3 years ago that was $35,000 (which is a bargain for that sort of thing, but WAY out of my league), I got the shakes and was sweating while holding it .  Watch yourself man - this thing gets in your blood!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
my field grade will be prettier than your junky old rack grade...

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife is not going to understand the credit card bill if I keep up grading, but I just might up you one and order a service grade. Garands are addicting
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My wife is not going to understand the credit card bill if I keep up grading, but I just might up you one and order a service grade. Garands are addicting

Take the plunge - order you a SA Correct grade.  Yeah-its post war, but you will likely end up with a near-new rifle.  The current ones are late production in the 5.8M serial number range from what people have been receiving.  My buddy got a 5.8M SA service grade that had a replacement stock (that's why it didn't get built up as a correct grade) that appeared to never have been fired outside of the proof rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top