Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:12:19 PM EDT
I have been wondering how an m14 goes full auto as opposed to the m1a which only goes semi auto. So can someone like show me the two diferent parts between the two? please note that I DO NOT intend on copying the parts to the m14 into an m1a, I just want to know what the diferences are.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There are no different parts per sey,  An M-14 has a full auto lug machined into the receiver which accepts said parts.

An M1A has no lug on the receiver, its omitted.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
M14/M1A Show & Tell

Well thanks, that sort of helped. But what I really wanted was a view of the different parts that that make the m14 go full auto. Kinda like how an m16 has a different trigger system than an ar-15.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much the name.

"M1A" is a clone of the M14 and is produced by Springfield Armory Inc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M14/M1A Show & Tell

Well thanks, that sort of helped. But what I really wanted was a view of the different parts that that make the m14 go full auto. Kinda like how an m16 has a different trigger system than an ar-15.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M14/M1A Show & Tell

Well thanks, that sort of helped. But what I really wanted was a view of the different parts that that make the m14 go full auto.

Well, if you are BATFE, then you use these parts:

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
OK well I'm not really sure what the shoe lases are, and the receiver of the m1a was kinda helpful in the since that I have never seen one before. But still now one has told me what the parts difference is, cmon there has got to be one part that's different on the m14 from the m1a.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OK well I'm not really sure what the shoe lases are, and the receiver of the m1a was kinda helpful in the since that I have never seen one before. But still now one has told me what the parts difference is, cmon there has got to be one part that's different on the m14 from the m1a.

the batf has rules that a shoelace IS  a machinegun when used in a manner in which, on an m1a, to fire more than 1 shot in succession.  there is a pic of a registered one running around here somewhere.  That is why there was the pic of shoelaces.  It is possible that the batf could charge someone with constructive intent for having both an m1a and a shoelace.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We've already told you, and Different's pic shows you; there is a lug on the right underside of the M14 receiver that the M1A has not.  The full auto fire control parts hook into that lug.  When switched to full auto, the fire control parts hit the trigger group parts in a way to make it keep firing so long as the trigger is held down.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
M-14 does not necessarily mean it is a full auto.  There are plenty of manufacters out there that make Semi Auto M-14s.  Fulton, Armscorp, LRB, Norinco, Polytech to name a few.

There is no difference between a semi M-14 and a M1A.  REPEAT: NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SEMI M-14 AND A M1A.

The term M-14 is applicable to all M-14 type rifles.  Springfield Armory wanted to not be known as another company to sell a M-14 type rifles so they decided to market their rifles as "M1A".  Pretty smart marketing move if you think about it.  So there than that, both rifles are pretty much identical.

Now there are some select fire M-14 rifles, but they are pretty rare and come with a hefty price and a ton of paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A M14 type rifle capable of automatic fire as designed by John Garand and Mathewson Tool Company will have the following parts that are not found on a semi-automatic only version: connector assembly, selector switch, selector shaft, sear release, selector shaft spring and selector shaft pin.  Additionally, the operating rod rail will have a center dismount notch for the operating rod and a forward underside groove for the connector assembly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a chance to fire a full-auto M14.  I really can't say I was that impressed.  I thought it was going to be the end-all, be-all of full-auto happieness, it wasn't.  Most of my shots went over the berm.  Perhaps a bipod while prone would have been the way to go versus standing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
No expert here, but it looks to me like the difference is as follows:

On Different's top pic, look to the far left (back of receiver) bottom side. See the little thing hanging down lower than anything else in the picture? That is the selector switch.

At the top of the selector switch is a rod that goes to the front of the receiver and has some type of interaction with the operating rod.

These two items are the most obvious differences between the two.

Hope you don't mind the picture edit Different:

Like I said, no expert here. Take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
recoiljunky, no problem.  Yes, the forward end of the connector assembly hooks the operating rod when the selector switch is in the Automatic position.  As mentioned, the receiver selector lug is the anchor point for the selector shaft, switch, spring and pin and sear release.  The rear end of the connector assembly is connected to the sear release.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok so how do the shoe lases make it go full auto?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:55:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Saying there is no difference between an M-14 and a M1A seems to be oversimplifying things.

The M-14 is the military designation for...well...the select fire M-14 adopted for use by the Armed Forces isn't it.

Seems to me, saying an M1A is an M-14 just doesn't fit.  It would be the same as calling the Bushy XM-15E2 an "M-16".
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
M-14 does not necessarily mean it is a full auto.  There are plenty of manufacters out there that make Semi Auto M-14s.  Fulton, Armscorp, LRB, Norinco, Polytech to name a few.

There is no difference between a semi M-14 and a M1A.  REPEAT: NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SEMI M-14 AND A M1A.

Now there are some select fire M-14 rifles, but they are pretty rare and come with a hefty price and a ton of paperwork.

Add Smith Enterprise, Smith, Ltd. (totally different manufacturer) and Federal Ordnance to the list of semi-automatic M14 type rifles denoted as M-14, M-14 NM, M14A, M14SA, and CM14SA.

According to Frank Iannamico's book The Last Steel Warrior U.S. M14 Rifle, only 176 Smith Enterprise, Inc. and 125 Springfield Armory, Inc. factory select fire rifles and 35 Rock Island Armory select fire conversions were made.  There were some Class II FFL/SOT conversions done as well before 1986 but the total number of NFA Registered commercial manufacture select fire M14 type rifles is only in the hundreds.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Add Smith Enterprise, Smith, Ltd. (totally different manufacturer) and Federal Ordnance to the list of semi-automatic M14 type rifles denoted as M-14, M-14 NM, M14A, M14SA, and CM14SA.

According to Frank Iannamico's book The Last Steel Warrior U.S. M14 Rifle, only 176 Smith Enterprise, Inc. and 125 Springfield Armory, Inc. factory select fire rifles and 35 Rock Island Armory select fire conversions were made.  There were some Class II FFL/SOT conversions done as well before 1986 but the total number of NFA Registered commercial manufacture select fire M14 type rifles is only in the hundreds.

I'm one of the lucky ones that owns a select fire springfield

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

please, nobody answer this, unless you both want to go to Federal PMITA Prison.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

please, nobody answer this, unless you both want to go to Federal PMITA Prison.

Oh sorry I kinda forgot that I shouldn't ask that. Got a Little caught up in the shoe lase thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top