Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:37:06 PM EDT
Several weekends ago I stumbled upon this M14 in a Pawn shop.  They were asking $1000 for it but I got out the door with it for $800.  I honestly think that they thought it was a Garand.  I'm still giddy about it.

I don't know much about M14's but knew "enough" to grab it.  It looks to be unfired.  Not a scratch on the metal or stock.  About the only reseach I've done was to call Armscorp and asked them about it.  I spoke to a guy there name Claude (sp?) and he said that the sn would place the receiver in an 86-87 time frame but couldn't be more specific because their records from that time had been destroyed.  I'd love to know where it's been all those years and kept in that condition.  

I bought a copy of Duff's M14 Owner's Guide and am trying to come up to speed on it's care and feeding.

Can anyone give me some idea of who the builder might have been?  Barrel maker etc.?  Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.  Any idea of it's value?

I've attached a pic and a link to some more detailed photos.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v224/imarelic/Pawnshop%20M14/?sc=3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/imarelic/Pawnshop%20M14/M14004.jpg

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know dick about M14's but that one looks really nice, BTW what shop was it at?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow!!!

Nice rifle and a good deal too!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
damn, that's beautiful. good price too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn I love the look of two tone brown laminate wood on an M14 type. Beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If you pull the op rod back and lock it, you should be able to read the barrel information. Most likely it is a USGI barrel if it hasn't been replaced.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Every time I see a thread like this it inspires me to go into the pawn shop in town, but all I ever see there is crappy old duck guns and garbage from big 5.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Every time I see a thread like this it inspires me to go into the pawn shop in town, but all I ever see there is crappy old duck guns and garbage from big 5.  

That's the way pawnshops are. You have to work at it. Nine times out of ten, you find nothing worth anything to you. But just that one time in ten you find a real treasure for a steal. I work near several shops and make it a point to visit them often. What's funny about pawnshops is that they want new prices for worn-out, old, used junk. But when you find that treasure it is often way undervalued. Which I've never understood considering they have the blue books. But whatever I guess...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately.. the pawnshops out here in CA know what they have.. especially  on M1A's, Garands and M1 Carbines and 1903's  :-(
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Most of the ARMSORP guns were U.S.G.I. parts returned from Israel, (Uncle Sugar has sent lots of M-14s since the '73 war).

In Summation....

GREAT DEAL!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the nice comments.  I got very lucky.  If you cut and paste that web adress in my original post,  into your browser, it should take you to my Photobucket account where there are some closeup's of the barrel markings etc.  and the marking on some of the other parts.  I'd still like one of you guys that's savy about M14s to look at those photos and clue me in, as to what I've got.

Pawn shops......

Like some of you have said, 95% of what you find is way over priced, but certain ones are still worth checking periodically, because sometimes they don't know what they have.  A month ago, at the very same shop, I bought a like new condition Romanian Century SAR .223 AK for $230.00.  This one had 2000 date on the receiver and had the nice looking (I thinK) dark varnished flecked arctic beech stock and hand guards, with cleaning kit and Romo sling.  Not the steal that the M14 was, but still about $100 under Mkt value, IMOP.  All this made sweeter by the fact that I didn't have to pay shipping or FFL transfer fees.  Yet, the "same" shop has beat up .22's, 12 ga. shot guns, plain jane mosins............ all double or triple market value and won't budge on price?  They've probably been sitting on the racks for years.  I can't figure it out!  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Brother that rifle is beautifull !!  Enjoy and shoot straight !

(Be gentle with that wooden handguard, you'll never find another like it.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top