Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 10:13:12 AM EDT
I found the paperwork for my M1 from the DCM.. it was like NIB (if NOT actually NIB).

it's a SA from '53  (sorry, no pic at the moment)

read in envy

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, they raped you on shippin!!Not just a shipping charge, but seperate packing and handling charge when they're already on the govt. dime.

Just kiddin.Nice to hear about folks getting damn near new rifles under the old DCM, which I hear was pretty commonplace. Nowadays the auction happy fartknockers at CMP would have every one of them up for auction, cuz remember ,"it's for the kids."
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you remember what year it was?  The prices have went up by a lot just recently, but they are still probably the cheapest place around to get an M1.  I bought an M1 from them just a handful of years ago, when they only had "service grade" and "collector grade", so it was somewhat still luck of the draw.  For my $400 + shipping, a couple months later I recieved a pretty nice IHC.  It's a mixmaster, but the finish on the reciever was all there.  I see now that they had a handful of IHCs and sold them out pretty much instantly at $700  I'd say I got a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup...

Five years ago the racks were full of those IHC's and WRA's. The same $700 rifle cost $400. They were FULL of them too.

Even still, these are the "good times" and soon I think there will be no more M1's. There will be however, cheap M1 carbines for a while.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
That's about the same period and price I got mine.  Not only was it in excellent shape it came with a NM barrel.  I put on some national match sights, tricked it up a bit, glassed it and it shot like a house on fire.  Still shoots pretty good but I think it needs a new match barrel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you remember what year it was?  ....

um, looking AT the picture above, you can see 26 sept 83.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a NIB  1943 Remington 03a3. It was new,unfired not a rebuild. It came with the 1962 receipt from the DCM of a wopping $12.00.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a sign of what is to come Buy them  now while they are still under $500! I am going to order 2 as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you remember what year it was?  ....

um, looking AT the picture above, you can see 26 sept 83.  

Sorry man, I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Yes, I wish the CMP was selling complete carbines.  I've looked around for carbine parts kits, and haven't really found much.  I'd really like to have one, but looks like it would cost more than it's worth by the time you are all said and done.  I guess the old bastards with piles of parts laying around will benefit pretty good.  The guys like me that are 25 or under are pretty well just out of luck
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Well hell, I'll give you $200 for it.  You can make a profit!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That's about the same period and price I got mine.  Not only was it in excellent shape it came with a NM barrel.  I put on some national match sights, tricked it up a bit, glassed it and it shot like a house on fire.  Still shoots pretty good but I think it needs a new match barrel.

What's the serial range on your rifle? If it's a mid-late 50's vintage rifle, NM-marked bbl on an otherwise service grade rifle means Type 1 national match. If that's the case, with your mods, I'll have a good cry for you.

My dad turned a 100% IHC rifle into a NM rifle somtime in the mid-80's. It still shoots like gangbusters.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
i remember seeing the flyer where lee harvey oswald get the rifle to cap kennedy.  right above the carcano was an ad for excellent m1 garands for $65.00
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, the good ole days.  When you got one Garand per lifetime and it took about a year to show up on your door step.   After you jumped thru all the hoops back then; finger prints, actually shooting a match of somekind, etc.  Heck, just finding out about the DCM/CMP took more effort than it should have.  For a long time it was close to a state secret.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top