Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 4:03:40 PM EDT
I just received Scott Duff's M1 Garand: serial numbers and data sheets book.  I started going through my SA field grade and had previously seen online that the receiver was from ~Nov 1940.   All major pieces aside from the trigger group (HRA) are SA.  I haven't seen a reference for when the barrel was from.  Also, the heat lot numbers on the receiver and bolt don't coincide with anything I've seen in print or online so far.  Any ideas where else to look for a reference?  Info is as follows:

Receiver - 891XX
drawing # D28281-3 SA
heat lot (?) - J 5 C   (also a "G" nearby)

Barrel - S-A-9-51 (upside down "P" nearby)

Bolt - D28287-2SA
heat lot (?) - RE4D

Op Rod - D35382 SA

Follower - 12

Trigger group - 6528290-HRA  N  

I still haven't done a thing to the HRA correct grade aside from locking it up.  I swear it won't be a safe queen, I've just been making the field grade the guinea pig.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats a very early receiver you have there. It would cost a fortune to restore it because those early parts are rare and cost alot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel is a replacement barrel. 9-51 is the date. The bolt is actually proper for that serial #. Op rod is a post-WW2 replacement. Sounds like a typical rebuilt M1. How's the bbl and overall finish?
Oh, and since you posted no pics, you owe all of ARFCOMdom a beer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Barrel is a replacement barrel. 9-51 is the date. The bolt is actually proper for that serial #. Op rod is a post-WW2 replacement. Sounds like a typical rebuilt M1. How's the bbl and overall finish?
Oh, and since you posted no pics, you owe all of ARFCOMdom a beer. hr

Thanks for the info and for pointing out what should have been obvious to me regarding the barrel date.   Analysis paralysis maybe?!  Overall finish of the park'ing is decent.  The receiver is sort of a subdued brownish color, nothing like the color of my correct HRA.  The barrel finish looks fine, but it appears the cylinder has been removed a number of times as evidenced by the scratches on the barrel in that area.  I haven't posted a picture of this one before since it was pretty ugly out of the box.  The stock is now undergoing a Formby's furniture refinisher treatment to be followed by who know's how many oilings.  

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d40/rwsduc/SAFieldGrade.jpg

If anyone cares to see the finished product I'll be happy to post a pic of it after I'm done.  
Then the stupid questions regarding getting the wiggle out of the front and rear sights will begin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top