Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 10:43:28 PM EDT
Is it a job for a gunsmith or do it yourself?.......
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Fulton Armory has a bolt disassembly tool, so I don't see why you can't do it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#2]
When you buy the bolt disassembly  tool, it will probably come preset for the longer M-1 Garand bolt.

I found it's easier to cut a 3/8ths inch wooden spacer off the end of a broom handle and insert that into
the rear of the tool (behind the back end of the bolt) to take up the space than it is to drift the pin and replace it into the forward hole marked "M-14". Keep the spacer and the tool together and leave the
tool preset for the M-1 Garand. The pins appear to be crimped or staked in. At least on the one I bought from Fulton a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Changing the extractor is simple.  

First, put on some safety glasses.

If you have one of these:

All you have to do is gently close the bolt in the end with the nub sticking out the side.  Then rotate the tool CCW and the extraxtor pops right out.  Use the tool to depress the ejector while you put the new extractor in.

If you don't have one of these tools, you can use a small flat blade screw driver.  Remove the bolt from the weapon, hole in left hand and ease the extractor up with the screw driver.  Ir will probably pop up and the ejector will go and hide from you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured it need a special tool.

ar-wrench,even with the pic I have not a clue to what that tool is.

Guess it's time to spend a few more bucks.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

www.fulton-armory.com/
About halfway down the page of the M14/M1A Accessories page.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This tool is the handle from a Garand cleaning kit.

The first time I took a bolt apart, I used this tool, but once I saw how it came apart, I just use a small screw driver now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
First, put on some safety glasses.

+1

I had my m14 bolt's ejector shoot across the room and hit the wall with an audiable thunk.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]
ar-wrench,

A BIG THANK YOU SIR!

I got the day off and re-read your original post,the screwdriver worked like a charm.

Yep that ejector does come flyin outa there!

If anyone is lookin to replace the springfield extractor with a USGI one,I orderd from Amherst Depot,they were very nice on the phone and had it to my door in 3 days.Very good to deal with.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Good job.

It is easier to do it than to explain it.  Having the new extractor in your hand helps to see how the bolt comes apart.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top