Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT
I've been offered an Inland M1 carbine but have no clue about the value.

It's an Inland / General Motors marked in '43, (don't remember the month)great shape with the sling.

The stock is stamped on the left side with S.A. W underneath in a box.

It appears to be original.

It's a .30 cal but I don't know the round.  Looks like a long 9mm.

Any help on a value or what to look for would be appreciated.

TIA,
bmmc
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
This might help: www.fulton-armory.com/M1Carbine.htm

My Gun Traders Guide list the value of surplus M1 carbines at: Gd = $391, Ex = $575  & NiB = $719, with this caveot:

Note for Winchester & Rock-ola add 30%, for Irwin Pederson, add 80%.... Guns produced by other manufactures were marked "Unquality" & command premium prices.

The round is 30 caliber carbine.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've been offered an Inland M1 carbine but have no clue about the value.

It's an Inland / General Motors marked in '43, (don't remember the month)great shape with the sling.

The stock is stamped on the left side with S.A. W underneath in a box.

It appears to be original.

It's a .30 cal but I don't know the round.  Looks like a long 9mm.

Any help on a value or what to look for would be appreciated.

TIA,
bmmc

How much do they want for it??
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
$300

Mike, thanks for the link and info it was a big help.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
That's cheap even if it isn't mint.  And .30 carbine is a very popular round, you can get them all over the place.  I have one, and it's a fun gun to shoot and has history.  

Be safe and shoot straight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#5]
"Guns produced by other manufactures were marked "Unquality" & command premium prices."

That is sorta true.  Un-Quality were guns subcontracted from Quality Hardware.  That is just one variation of their reciever stampings.  There are other manufacturers like Underwood,Saginaw,Standard Products,IBM.  

Back on subject... I'd be all over it if it was in good shape for $300.  Most go for more than that if they are USGI.  Fun rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#6]
It looked to be in excellent condition, I'll post pics when I can.  The guy who ownes it said it was his buddy's uncle's issue weapon but I don't knowif I trust that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It looked to be in excellent condition, I'll post pics when I can.  The guy who ownes it said it was his buddy's uncle's issue weapon but I don't knowif I trust that.

It really doesn't matter what he says.  Look at the stampings underneath the rear of the rear sight and look at the barrel stamping.  If he let's you break it down, look at some of the other stampings on the parts.  A couple guys on here will know what they are.  If you're right about the inland part, it'd be a good buy.  Unless the rest of it is like built with non usgi parts.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]
G.I. M1 carbines have really shot up in price ever since Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. Unless that thing was all rusted up I'd be all over it for 300 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone for the imput. Brought it home today. What do you think?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]
SWEET!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The stock is a replacement stock. The rifle has post war mods. Regardless, a nice carbine at a great price.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
You did real good!!!!!!

Congrats on the War Baby!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, good . Especially for a shooter.

After all, the Gov't modified/upgraded  them to be better weapons not to take away collector value.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
you did fantastic!! wow what a deal!! i wish i could have came across a deal like that i would have been all over that!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
you did fantastic!! wow what a deal!! i wish i could have came across a deal like that i would have been all over that!!

a big +1 on that.  And on top of that, it's nice to have the same barrel / receiver combo.  If they didn't replace the barrel you could probably bring it back to original issue, if desired.  Although it might  costly, but some guys get into that.  Or just shoot and enjoy the thing!!!!!  Very nice indeedy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#16]
BTW, they look much nicer with the 15 rounders inserted!!!!!!!!!!

That was just a wise crack, sort of.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree with you on the 15 rounders! What would I need to make it original? I have no experience with these. It was snowing today, after a week of 60+ degree days, or I would have hit the local range.

Thanks again guys for all of the imput!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]

nice rifle
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Decent non-import carbines in that kind of condition would be $700 in these parts.  

The serial number seems awful high for an April 43 barrel.  Will need to look into that.......

My January 44 Inland is only in the 2.9 million range.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:12:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks good. I agree about the barrel being alittle on the early side for that late of an Inland. The SA/W rebuild cartouche looks hinkey too.

Well worth the $ 300 though !
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Decent non-import carbines in that kind of condition would be $700 in these parts.  

The serial number seems awful high for an April 43 barrel.  Will need to look into that.......

My January 44 Inland is only in the 2.9 million range.  

At the gunshow this weekend there was only one U.S. G.I. carbine available, an Inland, and it had the dreaded "Blue Sky" stamp on the barrel. Asking price was $550.

OTOH, there was one very nice Iver Johnson going for $375, and a Universal with a cheap scope marked $450.

When you can find them, around here, a U.S.G.I carbine usually starts at $750, with or without an import stamp.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I agree with you on the 15 rounders! What would I need to make it original? I have no experience with these. It was snowing today, after a week of 60+ degree days, or I would have hit the local range.

Thanks again guys for all of the imput!

That is a whole hobby in itself which I have no idea how to help you.  There are some guys on battlerifles.com that do it and have done it.  You'd have to get like 400 books to cross reference which peice would be correct on there.  Or just ask Bill Ricca.  But I'm not into that.  I just mentioned it because some guys enjoy that.  billricca.com has alot of good usgi parts, and I've had a good experience ordering from him.  Fulton armory is ok but I've had mixed results with them.  Good luck with your new carbine, they are cool little weapons.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Very well done

tag for the range report
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]

You stole that at $300...congrats...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#26]
You did real good. If that carrying case is original it alone is worth some good bucks. Get Scott Duff's book on carbines and you'll be good to go.
Top Top