Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 2:41:22 PM EDT
I just bought a new SOCOM and I am reading the manual and there are big red warnings that say " DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE OLD OR RELOADED AMMUNITION PURCHASED AT GUNSHOWS, ESTATE SALES OR AUCTIONS" it goes on to say " Use only recently made high quality, original military or factory ammo" then there is an article about "Slam Fire" and how self loaded or bad ammo can be a big problem.

I skimmed over the M1A threads and I see that many of you use surplus Australian ammo, which I use often in my AR10 and R700 with out any problems. Is this ammo ok to use in my SOCOM? Or do I need to only use brand new production ammo?

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use the following with no problems:

Port
Aussie
South African
Lake City from CMP
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks mlm1219

I was assuming that Springfield was just coving thier butts, but since this is my first M1 I though I would ask just to make sure.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used the following in my M1A

Australian
Argentine
Indian (OFV M80 74)
Portugese FNM and BF
Spanish
South African R1M1 and M1A2
My reloads (Remington 9 1/2 M primers)

I have had ZERO problems with any of these.

I am sure that someone will come along and swear that the Indian ammo is thermonuclear and will kaboom with sufficient force to push the earth out of solar orbit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
For what it's worth, the Sept./Oct. 2005 issue of Rifle Shooter states that Springfield Armory gives the nod to Hornady TAP FPD 110-grain as the ammo of choice for the SOCOM.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
It's just a CYA statement.

Shoot whatever you want so long as it's not Indian-made and/or corrosive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top