Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 11:56:53 AM EDT
Hey Everyone,

I know there have been multiple posts regarding the Sage EBR, but I had a couple of questions I couldn't find an answer to.  If I am asking redundant questions I apologize in advance, I have looked extensively, but still have questions.

First, can anyone who fields this weapon platform as a daily duty weapon give some insight into to pros and cons of it use?

Has anyone who currently owns taken it through intensive training, such as military or at Blackwater, Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, etc? Any training reports.

I am primarily looking at this system for Urban/CQB Use? Any feedback from someone who actually uses it under those conditions?  I have also read that field maintenance can be an issue.  Has anyone had any experience with that?

Does the increased weight detract from daily functionability or use?

I've read some posts from hunting trips and new owners, but I would love some feedback from someone who uses this system on a consistent basis and puts his/her life on the line while doing so.

Basically, I now have the option of upgrading from my M4 (which I love to carry for weight, size, etc.. but dislike the terminal ballistics) and I am looking for wise counsel before purchasing one.

Also, which unit would you recommend for the setting I described? The Std or CQB model? In your opinion what are the pros and cons of each model.  

Thanks in advance and God Bless America!

Goose
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no operator, I just own one.  I'll try to answer a few questions based on my short experience with one.

I have also read that field maintenance can be an issue.  Has anyone had any experience with that?

To field strip the gun requires the removal of 9 allen head screws.  Now, people with match bedded M1As would have no qualms about not removing the gun from the stock unless absolutely necessary, and there a quite a few parallels here.  At least with the SAGE you can get it out and not disturb any bedding compound.

I am primarily looking at this system for Urban/CQB Use?

The platform almost demands use of optics.  I find the end product to be somewhat unfriendly for the standard iron sights.  With the adjustable cheeck piece in its lowest setting, I just have a hard time obtaining a comfortable cheek weld.  I have to turn my head sideways, which would not be conducive to a fast paced CQB environment.

Also, which unit would you recommend for the setting I described? The Std or CQB model? In your opinion what are the pros and cons of each model.

I don't think you can find the std. model anymore, except in resale.  The newer Chop Mod is all that should be available.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with everything Southern_Raider said plus -- the SAGE operators that I have communicated
with say it is a very accurate platform that is a little heavy and better suited to DMR/SNIPER work.
This was one of the reasons I went forward with my SASS build in the SAGE.

After speaking with Tony/LAW483 about the soon to be released TROY drop-in stock the M14 type rifle
may finally have a true CQB/SOPMOD platform with flip-up irons and it should be lighter than the SAGE.

HTH -- aka SR420

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The iron sights on a Sage EBR are difficult to use, I removed the front sight altogether, later probably the rear sight too.  In their place I put a KAC folding front BUIS all the way in front, in the rear I have a spare ARMS #38 I haven't used in years.  Alas now the irons are kind of high!  But at least I can adjust the cheek rest for that, with the stock irons the cheek rest couldn't go low enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top