Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 4:35:41 PM EDT
Posted this in GD too, but I figure some folks might not get over there much:

OK, I suck at taking pictures, but I thought some might be interested in seeing my M1 Carbine.  The history:

My Grandaddy was a part-time gunsmith who specialized in custom stock inlays and such-he'd buy old pianos for the ivory keys and inlay stocks with it, stuff like that.  He bought two M1s mail-order thru the NRA in the early 60's for $19.95 each.  He hand-checkered and inlayed both of them and gave one to my his wife and one to his daughter.  He later gave my Grandmother another rifle, a '30s vintage Winchester 94 that he'd also fixed up.  He was a fine man and a true artist-I only wish I'd gotten to know him better as he passed away when I was 11.  

When I turned 18 and joined the military, my Grandmother gave me the Carbine as a going away present.  She planned to give the Winchester to my cousin when he turned 18.  Unfortunately, her house burned back in 2001 along with about 40 of my Grandfather's guns.  His best pieces, including my cousin's Winchester, an old Terni with a puma engraved on the stock, a beautiful 03A3 that he'd heavily customized, and a Westley Richards side-by-side, were in a wooden gun cabinet right next to the wood stove that had the chimney failure.  My Grandmother passed away about six months later.  

Fortunately, we had several of his other pieces at my parent's house, including a Remington 7600 .280, a Marlin 336C 30-30, and a Belgian Browning Auto 12.  And, of course, my Carbine.  It is my single most valued personal possesion.

She's an IBM, serial no. 3837XXX.  Barrel's still really nice and it still shoots great, although it's now in semi-retirement.  I know some purists might cringe at the alteration of the original stock, but I don't really care about the collector value.  

Again, sorry about the quality.  If anyone wants to see anything in particular or has suggestions for improvement, feel free.  OK, now the images are huge, but hopefully you can see them.  Sorry

ETA:  Well, my first attempt at posting photos ain't going so hot.  I had them on imageshack but exceeded my bandwidth.  This host seems to kinda work, but sometimes you have to right click and show picture.  If anybody is still interested in seeing the pics and can host them I'll email them to you.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.  It's got alot of history in it for you, that's what matters.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle.  What's a carbean?

ETA:   + It really is nice!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:54:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Unique.......Whats that knob on top?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks Sweet
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Unique.......Whats that knob on top?

I assume you're talking about the rear sight.  Somebody asked that in the other thread so I checked it out, always assumed it was just USGI.  Looks like it's a second generation milled adjustable rear sight.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice work.  
He was a talanted man.

It was a highwood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top