Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 5:58:50 AM EDT
It looks like I may be inheriting a Century Arms M1 Garand.  I know they have a bit of a spotty record on some of their products but can't find much else about the Garands (damn google returns a ton of hits and I got tired of wading through them).  I’ve been forewarned that this one apparently has or had an ejection issue.  I’m wondering if this thing is even going to be worth sending off to have worked on.  Is there a good forum for Garands or does anyone have any recommendations for a gunsmith?

Thanks    
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The Century M1's are USGI parts kits built on commerical *cast* receivers. There may be some out there from such places as Korea built on USGI receivers, but most of those were worn out before they even got here. Depending on the quality of the receiver, you may or may not have a rifle that will function. Some are okay and some are so far out of spec. that they are unsafe to shoot. They have no collector value with the exception of the other parts. Some of the parts used are out of spec. or just worn out. Your best bet is to send it and have it checked out. Headspace, worn parts, receiver, etc. I would send it to Dean's Guns or Orion 7. There are probably other places as well. Fulton Armory does these as well, but they are renowned for being very slow.

Google for the url's or look up at the advertisers on this forum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
CMP
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
CMP

+1 just buy a Garand from CMP- if it had probelms when you get it they will fix it,  it has a forged receiver, and it is a real piece of american history.
[eta]

sorry, poor reading skills- didn't see that you are inheriting it.  Could be it just needs a new ejector and/or spring, but it could be a lot more than that.

You might try m14forum or warrifles- a lot of very knowledgeable folks over there about the m14/M1 garand series of rifles.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I wouldn't have bought it myself, but it's part of a package deal.  FWIW, there's a Springfield Armory commemorative M1 Garand in the lot also (apparently it has a picture of the flag raising on Iwa Jima).  

This certainly wasn't the way I would like to have aquired more guns for my collection though.   I'd rather have my friend back....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one.  Mine worked just fine.  No complaints.  Eventually sold it to finance a "real" M-1.  Last I knew it was still performing as advertised for its new owner.

Parts kits were from Denmark as I recall.  I had a VAR barrel on mine with mostly Springfield parts.  Stock was kind of rough, birch as I recall.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
CMP sells a new USGI receiver for about $169. That would fix it for ya.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd pass it off as quick as you can, if you can. My Century built M1 won't work for S*** and have spent close to $300 trying to get it too run. Most of that was wasted on a local "M1 expert" that was jacking me around for 6 months.  

Haven't had any luck selling it at the local gun show either... everybody runs away like I've got the plauge.

As for my CMP M1, now that's a nice gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've pretty much decided that when I get home it will be going to the first gun show in town with me.  Whatever I can get for it will most likely go for more ammo to feed the other Garand.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top