Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 12:32:06 PM EDT
The M1A I just got has a very nice (I think anyway) bedded walnut stock. I intend on taking this rifle out and use it as a shooter. Invariably every nice bolt gun wood stock I've had, has ended up scratched or gouged no matter how careful I was. Would it be smart to restock this for everyday use? If so, what is the difference between a synthetic stock compared to a fiberglass stock? Is one tougher or hold up better than the other? Also, it appears mine is a hvy bbl M1A. Will it fit either stock ok, or will I have to modify the bbl channel? Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
A barreled action, properly inletted, will generally fit into a stock for which the action is designed. You may or may not have to do some serious removal of material, The best thing to do is to address this question of the stock manufacturer. If you buy a synthetic stock from Fred's, Maybe. If you buy a stock from McMillan, yes without a doubt. E-mail if any questions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The GI synthetic stocks (as sold by Fred and others) are made of fiberglass. I'm pretty sure all synthetics are. They are more resistant to dings and dents than wood stocks and are a bit lighter. This can make recoil more pronounced, but with your heavy barrel it probably won't. It should drop into any replacement stock just fine, unless you have a front or rear lugged receiver (match mod.). If the rifle was nicely bedded into the stock you may lose some accuracy with a different stock, or you may not. You might want to shoot a group off a benchrest before you swap stocks to compare. One advantage of the synthetic vs wood is that you don't have to re-bed it every so often due to compression and it won't shift POI due to environmental conditions. If you are a match shooter (or anyone who uses a tight sling very often) you'll probably notice a shift in a GI synthetic stock forearm when you really cinch down on the sling. I fixed that in mine by filling the bottom third with an epoxy-type resin. This will give you a good, cheap stock that is immune to weather and dings. McMillan makes the best synthetics for a 14, and they sure are proud of them. Good luck with whatever you chose.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Are all the synthetic stocks fiberglass? Being new to the M1A, I thought there were "plastic" stocks also. Guess I thought thats what the newer SA syn stocks were. Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
USGI M14 synthetic stocks are made from fiberglass and are filled with foam.  Springfield Armory, Inc. synthetic M1A stocks are USGI M14 synthetic stocks painted black.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I know for sure that the GI, McMillan, and B&C stocks all have fiberglass as their main componet. Now you can find crap stocks for SKS's and the like that are made purely of plastic, but I've never seen any made for a 14. The newer Springfield stocks are nothing more than GI stocks with a thick coat of krinklepaint, and I've heard they flake. If that look appeals to you, buy a GI stock from Fred and have a local smith do the krinklepaint.

BTW If I can tell you anything else, ask now. I won't have comms much longer as Katrina is closing in and I just lost power.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Well forget about me then, Different is THE MAN with regards to anything M14 and can answer all your Q's and more. Ya'll take care and hopefully I'll be able to chat with you gentlemen later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I prayed for you and your family, KitBuilder.  Stay safe.

From my book M14 Rifle History and Development regarding Bell and Carlson stocks:

"Bell and Carlson - Bell and Carlson is a designer and manufacturer of synthetic material rifle stocks.  Its offering for the M14 type rifle is one model in its special purpose line of stocks (catalog number C190).  The stock is built with structural urethane, aramid, graphite and fiberglass.  It is offered in a choice of seventeen finishes.  This stock will accommodate a heavyweight contour barrel and the magazine well is flared to facilitate quick magazine changes."
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies guys! As usual, everyones very helpful in answering my questions. Kitbuilder...good luck down there, and take care!! Greg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top