Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 4:18:13 AM EDT
I purchased a Polytech from a guy on the boards and am getting ready to take it to the range next weekend for the first time. The rifle has a wood stock, and on the butt it has a plate on a hinge that flips up. When its up, it lays across your shoulder. The only thing I can figure out this is used for is possibly helping to distribute the weight when shooting offhand? What is it for?

Like I said a noob question, but I've never had or fired a M1A before. Any other advice for the first time out would be very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
it's a hold over from the M14 machinegun and helps to hold the gun in position when shooting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Be prepared for a pleasure like you've yet to ever know.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#3]
So, do you guys leave it up or down when shooting? Personal preference?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Down.
it looks in the unfolded position.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Down,

Fine shooting fun....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top