Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 7:12:06 AM EDT
So it looks like I'll finally be able to get one of my CMP Garands out to the range this weekend.  About time!

Just curious how I need to go about the first cleaning session before I head off to the range.  Once I have the rifle field stripped, is this sufficient for a first cleaning?  Or, do I need to go through the complete disassembly?  Not that I have a tendancy to lose small parts or anything, but I just wanted to check before I completely took it apart for no real reason.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you've not fired it since receiving it,  I'd take everything down incl. the bolt and gas cyl.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, the first thing I do with CMP guns is to check the headspace and do an all around inspection of the rifles.  The rifles are oiled and I remove the oil and apply grease to the wear points, rails, ect. I also preform the tilt test, and check timing.

The tilt test you can do your self, timing you may be able to do if you have the gage.  Diffentily check the headspace as it could be dangerous to fire the rifle if it's not within spec.  Timing isn't all that important for the first firing and if everything works fine when you fire it, you'll be good to go.

Get your self some grease and grease the rifle up.  I would strongly suggest that you go to www.jouster.com and spend some time reading lane's tips and the boards there.  Jouster is the AR15.com of the garand world.

Oh, you do know about what ammo you can feed your garand and what to stay away from right??

Anything else you want to know, IM me.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
CMP checks the headspace on every rifle before it is even considered for sale.  Do not worry about that.  You cannot however just take one out of the box and shoot it.  It will require a complete detail stip & clean.  The CMP has great instructions on how to accomplish this, pictures and all!

Scroll down to bottom

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone...

Guess I'll get to taking apart that thing into bits and pieces.  I have the Scott Duff M1 Garand owner's guide.  I have some grease and some surplus M2 Ball as well so I think I'm good.  I figure if I stay with the CMP ammo and away from the corrosive Korean I should be good.

Basically, if I strip it down per the CMP manual and clean/lube/grease I should be ok then?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Pull it down completely.  You'll find cosmo and old grease in a lot of places that will affect function and accuracy.

Check this site for detailed info:

Surplus Rifle
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
CMP checks the headspace on every rifle before it is even considered for sale.  Do not worry about that.  You cannot however just take one out of the box and shoot it.  It will require a complete detail stip & clean.  The CMP has great instructions on how to accomplish this, pictures and all!

Scroll down to bottom

Yep they do...however, I have read about some people getting rifles that won't headspace or have other issues when the buyer will say "how did they test fire this rifle with the rifle is this condition?"

I personally won't take the chance and get the headspace checked.  You never knew when you get the one rifle that was missed by the volunteer and has excessive headspace.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Basically, if I strip it down per the CMP manual and clean/lube/grease I should be ok then?

Basically..yes.  I still suggest that you check the headspace just for safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top