Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2005 4:47:23 PM EDT
Hello all,  I need a .308.  I had generally planned on a SA M1A Loaded Standard but I'm looking over the Fulton Armory page and the bayo lug, USGI parts, M14 rollmarks, and a couple other things just seem to sweet to pass up.  I am sure some of you on the board have some and I have a couple questions if you'd be so kind of help me out.  I am looking at just the standard M14 Service Rifle with chrome barrel/chamber, etc

1.  How long is the wait one the rifle is ordered?  And I am assuming they are shipped to your local FFL?
2.  What difference is the National Match trigger from the original, and same with the operation rod spring?  Are they worth the $25 extra and do they make any difference in the appearence/cosmetics of the rifle?

Feel free to add anything else you'd like too.  Thanks for the help!

Brian
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a flton, but I have a freind who had one built up by them.  It looks and shoots outstanding.  He is shooting it better than his AR.  I think that is a personal thing for him, but it does shoot really good.
The match trigger is a USGI trigger that has been tuned to be at approximately 4.75lbs. (much lighter than the standard) Tuning for this means to hone the trigger and hammer.

The springs guide is round which helps keep the spring in line without bind.  The origional is flat.

Other things are the sights.  The match sight has 1/2 windage and the hooded aperature allows for 1/2 elevation.

Make sure they ream the flash hider as it can have significant impact in adverse wheater.

There are several other items (glass bed, free float, oversized stock, match barrel- not crome lined)
Talk to Fulton to get a good run through so you can make the best choice as it cost to get the M1A/M14 to top notch.  
I have a springfield that was rebuilt to supermatch and will never regret it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
All of this depends on what you want to do with the rifle.  If you are just blasting at steel at 200 yards, don't spend the extra or a match trigger and bedding and match barrel etc.

If you plan to shoot competitively in high power events then it matters.

For me, the NM sights are a must have.  I simply shoot better with the finer front sight post.  

I don't have any direct experience with Fulton but based on their reputation I wouldn't be afraid to take a chance on their products.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All of this depends on what you want to do with the rifle.  If you are just blasting at steel at 200 yards, don't spend the extra or a match trigger and bedding and match barrel etc.

Definitely no competitions for me, I really just do recreational shooting.  I am basically a military arms enthusiast and I like my arms as close to their military counterparts as possible, but if there are upgrades that are otherwise worth it, I'd be interested in that.

Thanks for info so far, guys.

Brian
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Personally I would get the match trigger and possibly the bedded stock, but I would forgo the match-barrel because they are only good for a certain number of rounds. For just blasting the GI chrome-lined barrel will last many more rounds than the match barrel. Also to me, for most people; the GI chrome barrel is plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The_Alchemist: Just a reminder, if you decide to get the fiberglass bedded stock, you shouldn't remove the action from the stock(actually it is literally "glued" into the stock) because it will cause things to the bedding to loosen or break up. The action is pretty much open so that you can clean it without seperating the stock and the action.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Fulton makes a GREAT M14-type rifle.  Get the NM spring guide and have the flash suppressor reamed to NM dimensions.  For anything but a match gun DO NOT have the action 'glas bedded into the stock- just get a GI fiberglas stock.  The NM trigger modification might be worth it as well.  If you are going to shoot a lot then the chrome-lined barrel would be worth the extra $50.  I have a rifle Fulton built for me on a Springfield receiver before they were using their own- best rifle I've ever bought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top