Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2005 12:40:21 PM EDT
i'm pretty sure i know the prep proceedure, but i need some thoughts of what kind of texturing i can put on the stock

i was going to try some truck bed-liner (duplicolor) or rustoleom's american stone creations, but i heard that gun scrubber and hopps tears it off........

so is there any kind of spray on texture/bed liner spray that i can apply that i can get at wally world or other local store?

also, i plan on using krylon cammo paints--whats a good clear, protective coating?  i hear that several sprays of krylon's is nice; but i have also heard that minwax's wood varnish works great too--which one would you use/other??

any other advice?

thanks all

Link Posted: 5/8/2005 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I havent done it yet, but I bought Brownells Alumi-hide II and their own grit paint.  Both are epoxy based and I was told work well together.  The grit paint looking closely at the pictures shown, looks not like sand paper grit, but the texture of small raised bumps.  I should have it Mon or Tues and will begin my project.  Im gonna try to mist the black grit paint over coyote to create raised black bumps like I have seen on custom rifles from the factory.  Too many goods and bads to regular paints to chance having to strip it off!  Brownells support said this epoxy stuff is the toughest.  I believe its Duracoat in a can.  They do the same thing with Gun-kote in a can.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I've painted two stocks, a USGI Synthetic M14 stock and a Savage factory synthetic stock.

Good results with each.

After prepping the stock, I sprayed three coats of Krylon OD Green on, full coatings each time. Then I sprayed one heavy coat of Krylon Non-Skid Coating. Looks like clear gloss with alot of fine sand in it. Then, when that dries, another coat or two of Krylon.

It feels real gritty at first, but it wears in and feels real nice after a while. I haven't had any problems with it wearing off, either. Only spots where you can see brown through the paint are deep gouges in the stock that happened after I finished it.

I used JB Weld to fill the selector hole, btw.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
alrighty thanks

is bondo better to use than JB weld, or vice versa to fill in the selector switch?

i'll check out that stuff from brownells and krylon.......

so, any other ideas for a good texture?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
You have got to ask yourself do you want to have the whole rifle gritty or  just parts of it ? I only wanted a few areas of high contact necessary for operation to be gritty / sticky so I applied nonskid to these areas and then oversprayed entire stock with final coats.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You have got to ask yourself do you want to have the whole rifle gritty or  just parts of it ? I only wanted a few areas of high contact necessary for operation to be gritty / sticky so I applied nonskid to these areas and then oversprayed entire stock with final coats.  

i want the whole rifle gritty

if whatever i apply is too 'sharp' then i'll just sand it down lightly to get the right feel........
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#6]
just filled in the gaps with bondo

primed it grey with krylon

waiting on it to dry....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top