Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2005 11:15:49 AM EDT
As usual the Greek Racks were impressive for me.  These are probably the most impressive Greeks I've received yet.  For once the wood wasn't run over by a tank or dropped off some cliffs in Greece.  Actually, I think this replacement wood was installed at the CMP  :D .. I'll tell you why.  Nice visible cartouches on the walnut stock.  The dark walnut stock has the spot for the Danish medalion on the pistol grip.  It also had a slip inside the channel with dutch? writing.  The front and rear HG's on both rifles are BRAND NEW.  Let me say it again - BRAND NEW.

HRA Dark Walnut
475651x
HRA Barell 4-54 D6535448 RS32
Operating Rod - HRA 6535382
SA trigger group D28290-14-sa
Rear site DRC (What is DRC?)
HRA Bolt
TE 3
mw 3.5

HRA light Walnut
549365x
HRA Barell 8-54 6835448 RS36
HRA Bolt
HRA OP Rod 6535382
HRA Trigger group  :D 6528290
HRA Rear site
TE 3
MW 3

8)

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet. I love my greek rack grade.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
nice and a 5.4 mil HRA too, Looks like you got a CMP Dane replacement stock also.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#3]
They look great
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]

nice!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I put a about 100 rounds though the 4.7 mil today.  Ran great - group was alright.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice!

Can't beat the price on those RGs,

Looks like a Danish stock with the coutout and serial number, the other may be an HRA, hard to tell from the pics. Is the DSA cartoche 3/8 or 1/2".
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nice!

Looks like a Danish stock with the coutout and serial number, the other may be an HRA, hard to tell from the pics. Is the DSA cartoche 3/8 or 1/2".

LE6920, please elaborate on how I should measure.  I'll measure it up then.  

When I cleaned up the Dark stock a 'faint' SA over GAW cartouche is present.  That stock is also cleaning up very nicely.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice!

LE6920, please elaborate on how I should measure.  I'll measure it up then.  

When I cleaned up the Dark stock a 'faint' SA over GAW cartouche is present.  That stock is also cleaning up very nicely.

Well, then you have a WWII Springfield Armory stock. I thought I saw a DSA (eagle acceptance stamp) which is post WWII for SA, HRA and IHC. HRA had to different sizes 3/8 and 1/2 stamps during different periods.

OK looked at the pics again. The dark stock is a stock that was sent over to Denmark sometime after WWII to assist them with thier weapons inventory, similar to the lendlease M1s that went to Great Britian. The Danes stamped serial numbers in the inderside of the stock and that sticker inside has the windage and elevation marked on it. They also made a cut-out under the grip of the stock that looks like a coin should go in it. A Danish unit disk was there. If it has a SA/GAW stamp it was made at SA during WWII, or at least inspected there during WWII and restamped. Quite a few of the Danish rifles had nice WWII stocks on them when the CMP got them back, but they also have the cut out and serial numbers in them. Usually those serial numbers were from the gun it was on before it left Denmark. It may be a SA WWII serial number in the GAW inspector range.

The other stock has the eagle with arrows looking DSA accpetance stamp in a box. HRA, IHC and SA used these stmaps post-WWII. HRA had a 3/8" and 1/2" aquare size. The 'porch' area on HRA stocks which is right behind the reciever where you serial number is stamped is also horseshoe shaped and usually much larger that the SA stocks.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The images below may help. The top is the SA/GAW and the next is a HRA DSA stamp.

The type of "P" stamped in the underside of the stock can also be useful in identifying stocks. There are 'seriff' versions like shown below and some are 'block' stype with no line under the P Some are in circles and some in boxes, many rifles that have been through overhall will have more than one P stamp on them. The bottom is a WWII SA P stamp.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The stamp is 1/2"...The porch on this stock is not large enough IMHO to be an HRA.  I'll take some pic's tomorrow of that porch to get all of your opinions...

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
LE6920 - anymore info on the 1/2" ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
LE6920 - anymore info on the 1/2" ?

The 1/2" version would have been used by Springfield Armory, and possibly IHC also, not an IHC expert but IHC stocks always seem to have a four digit number stamped in the barrel channel.

Chances are you have a SA stock. Is there any glass bedding uner the trigger group area? Many of the DSA SA stocks used in rebuilds had some glass bedding similar to national match bedding done under the trigger guard area to improve lockup.

If the porch doesn't look larger and the profile looks like a SA stock and you don't have the IHC numbers in the channel, you probably have a SA stock.

Hope that helps!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The late HRA's (starting about 5.6M) had a 1/2 " DAS.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
wow, nice rack grades! I need to order another one...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
wow, nice rack grades! I need to order another one...

Just stick the HRA... the pair of springfields were just ok. Not exceptional like these.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top