BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 2:27:00 PM EDT
Is anyone making a forged receiver?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Fulton Armory

Look under M1A/M14 parts.

It doesn't say if  forged or cast, maybe someone will chime in.

Just one I know of, HTH.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
www.lrbarms.com makes forged M14 receivers. The ChiCom ones are forged too I believe. I think that's it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fulton Armory

Just one I know of, HTH.

Danny

Fulton Armory's receivers are cast and actually are made by Armscorp. They good receivers, though.

The ONLY current production forged receivers are the ones LRB Arms is offering...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fulton Armory

Just one I know of, HTH.

Danny

Fulton Armory's receivers are cast and actually are made by Armscorp. They good receivers, though.

The ONLY current production forged receivers are the ones LRB Arms is offering...

Now I know, just trying to help.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Talked to Ron Smith at Smith Enterprises a few weeks ago (he's building 300+ modified M-14s for various Army units called the Crazy Horse) and I asked him straight out what is the best receiver currently on the market and he said LRB - that is until he starts making them again!

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the forged receiver that much better, relaible and durable than gthe cast receivers?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.lrbarms.com makes forged M14 receivers. The ChiCom ones are forged too I believe. I think that's it.

OT: Armscorp made small run of forged M14 receivers about 15 years ago, they sold out at $800 each.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#8]
You could ask at battlerifles.com, but generally, forged is considered to last longer w/o stretching or warping. Supposedly .mil tried a comparison test in full auto with several of both types and the cast receivers failed sooner than the forged. Perhaps someone in the sandbox right now could answer if there are any Armscorp, Fulton Armory, Enterprise, or Springfield Armory receivers currently in use. But I doubt that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#9]
forged gen rule of thumb, 10 to 13% stronger. Lots of NFA cast FA Springfeilds that are still going strong on Full Auto.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I read somewhere that the military testing revealed that a USGI forged receiver would last for 400,000+ rounds.  If that's true and a cast receiver is 10% less durable, you're still looking at almost a quarter of a million rounds before the receiver is worn out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
With current casting tech, they can make a cast receiver as good as a forged receiver. But it all depends on manufacturing process and QC

When they were making the original m14's it was true that cast was vastly inferior to forging. But these days  the technology has caught up to each other.

With forging its harder to screw it up, if there is a catastrophic defect in the product it is usually easily spotted unlike casting where there are more variables.

But seeing most of the current offerings from the various manufacturers offering cast receivers, I doubt they are using the latest tech to make a high quality casting that could be comparable to a forged part.

See kids, you can learn more in college then just now much alcohol you body can withstand.
Also if you want to annoy an manufacturing engineering professor ask "which is better cast or forged"
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Agree; if they had the current casting tech back in the day, m14's would of had cast recvr's. Kinda silly this  " Go forged or go home " mentality, never heard of anyone wearing out a cast SA Inc recvr .... It's how the forging/casting is machined that really counts !
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
as i always say, I'm not an M14 guy, but the folks at LRB are first class, decent, honest and just plain nice.  They handle my transfers and I've seen their receivers - pieces of art.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
LRB Arms and Chinese M14 receivers are the only forged commercial M14 receivers.   The other forged receivers are those made by the Fab Four for Uncle Sam and those made by the Government of Taiwan.  All other M14 receivers are either cast or machined from billet.  That includes Smith Enterprise and Armscorp.  But that does not mean a cast receiver is substandard.  No way!  I'd take a Smith Enterprise receiver in a heart beat.  

Yes, forged is up to 20 % stronger than cast.  That assumes you perform no other heat treamtment after forming.  But, ALL raw M14 type receivers are formed (forged, cast or hot rolled into billet) then machined then carburized, quenched and tempered.  Before forged USGI M14 raw receivers were machined they were normalized to soften them for machining.  For newbies, when you soften a steel through heat treatment, you also reduce the strength.  

The point being, all M14 receivers, regardless of the method of forming (forging, casting or billet), are heat treated after machining to obtain the desired strength, hardness and toughness.  The steel molecular structure changes three times through the post-machining heat treatment process.  I go into a detailed explanation of this in Chapter 7 of the free online book M14 Rifle History and Development at www.imageseek.com/m1a    
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone have one of these LRB receivers?

Are they worth the money?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I read somewhere that the military testing revealed that a USGI forged receiver would last for 400,000+ rounds.  If that's true and a cast receiver is 10% less durable, you're still looking at almost a quarter of a million rounds before the receiver is worn out.

If you can actually afford to wear out a M1A receiver, Springfield will make/give you another reciever with same serial number. Of course that may take them several months, but they will.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Enterprise in Irwindale, CA makes a forged reciever.

www.entreprise.com/Fal/m1a2.htm
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]
It doesn't say that they are forged on that website. You sure?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Enterprise in Irwindale, CA makes a forged reciever.

www.entreprise.com/Fal/m1a2.htm

They are CNC'ed from billet not forged.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They are CNC'ed from billet not forged.

what's the word on these recievers?  Are they quality?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
The LRB is forged and has a M1913 rail machined into the receiver itself.

Has anyone seen one of these?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Anybody ever worn out a cast receiver.

Anybody.....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The LRB is forged and has a M1913 rail machined into the receiver itself.

Has anyone seen one of these?

I've seen the prototype in the display shelf at Lou's store. The forging die is being made as we speak. I foresee a very expensive piece of steel in my stocking...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anybody ever worn out a cast receiver.

Anybody.....

Not to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I've built three FAL's using Entreprise receivers.  The first one was perfect and I had no issues with the build.  The other two took some serious work to make everything fit.  If their M-14 receivers show the same lack of quality control, I'd stay away from them.  Armscorp and Fulton are probably better, especially for the money.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#27]
entreprise has questionable business ethics.

Their receivers for the FAL vary in quality greatly and Ive heard of them sending out reveivers that were returned for being out of spec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top