Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 10:57:14 PM EDT
How rare are M1 Garands chambered in 7.62NATO?  Our JROTC unit has a few of them, and I have always wondered what was behind all of it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The US Navy had some converted back when the 7.62 NATO become the standard ammo for US service rifles. I don't know how many. If they are in original issue condition, they are much more valuable than the run of the mill M1. IIRC, the Navy redesignated them MOD II MK I's
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
All I have ever heard them called is Mark II's.  I think the first ones had a chamber insert to shorten it from '06 length to 7.62, but they started developing a habit of coming out.  I have one that was a grade B match rifle.  It shoots really well (<1MOA).  I've been told that a documented MK II SecNav Trophy Award Rifle is worth about $1600 in original condition.
Chris
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Are they Air Force 7.62 or Navy 7.62 ? How are they Marked 7.62 ? Stamped on barrel, Marked 7.62 on bolt ?

IF your AF JROTC you most likely have X AFPG Match M1's converted to drill rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top