Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 12:03:47 PM EDT
I saw these at Sportsman's Guide www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=149625 Does anyone own any and are they any good? It seems like they should be fine if the description is accurate. If you wanted them Parked, you could do them yourself or have 'em done fairly cheap I would think.  TIA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine has some of those and he has had zero problems in his Springfield M1A SOCOM.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It appears that www.dansammo.com has them too but they are just a bit more money.  Bottom of the page www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys, Ammoman has M14 mags. They are probably the same 10 for $129. That's 12.90 ea.  I'm order them on Mon so I should have before I hit the range next weekend. BobK
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guys, Ammoman has M14 mags. They are probably the same 10 for $129. That's 12.90 ea.  I'm order them on Mon so I should have before I hit the range next weekend. BobK

SWEEEEET!!! Thanks BOBK48!!! I have a few friends that I'll pass this on to as well. I wish we could get enough cash together to but 80 of them, $880 is cheap for that many mags.
ETA: www.ammoman.com/M14MAGS.htm
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I got three of the T-57 mags from Sportsman's Guide.  They seem to be a great deal.  I don't know how long the spings will last, etc. but you can always buy new mag springs.

I'm going to get a few more just to have on hand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Cheaper than dirt has m14/m1a 30 rders for 11.97. Good price. Have yet to use them, since I don't have an M1a or even 308 ammo (I am a real 3006 man)

Ben
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Those are probably the horrible aftermarket mags with the stamped lock plate.  If so, they are total junk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]
from what is said over at battlerifles.com there worth more than what there selling for. If your talking about USA mags, I would not waste a bullet on them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The Ammoman mags are great. They clean up very nicely and function well.

If you lightly steel wool any small rust spots (for every ten mags I've seen about 3 have very small spots) and clean them up (take apart, dress down edges and spray inside with teflon) you will have mags every bit as smooth as GI.

They're great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
from what is said over at battlerifles.com there worth more than what there selling for. If your talking about USA mags, I would not waste a bullet on them.

No these are Taiwan made with US machines to USGI spec except for the parkerizing. Everyone knows USA Mags blow goats!!!. One of the pics on one of the sites mentioned above shows the lock plate as one that looks welded on not stamped.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a pair of the Type 57 Taiwanese mags, and am very happy with them.  Quality is the same as GI, since they were built on tooling we gave/sold to Taiwan.  Slight differences in number/type of spot welds, but excellent workmanship on mine.  Locking tab is welded.  Go to Ammunitionstore.com, they have them for $12.95 each.  And STAY AWAY from 30rd M1A mags, they are trash!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:54:48 AM EDT
[#13]
just wanty to make shure non usa, not every one knows about usa mags at the last cmp match guy was complaing about his colt mag not working. I looked at the Floor plate no pony, blued amg with a circular hole in the one side. I was buddy you got hosed thes are not Colt mags. Loaned him a USGI 20 ropunder with no finish old mag his jaming issues went away.

There are cheaper places that sportmans guide for those mags dans and ammoman come to mind.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Try Midway.

I just got an email notice from them and they are selling US made USGI mags (various manufacturers) for $15/ea.

That's an excellent price!

Edited to add:  Never mind.  I just went to the site to hotlink and the mags are sold out.  Less than eight hours and they are all gone!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Try Midway.

I just got an email notice from them and they are selling US made USGI mags (various manufacturers) for $15/ea.

Edited to add:  Never mind.  I just went to the site to hotlink and the mags are sold out.  Less than eight hours and they are all gone!

I don't recall seeing them described as USGI when I looked at the Ebalst this afernoon.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try Midway.

I don't recall seeing them described as USGI when I looked at the Ebalst this afernoon.

Look at the feedback people entered for the mags.  People were getting Winchester and other USGI mags sent to them.  They were two to a pack with original GI paper wrap on them.  Some apparently had some rust spots.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try Midway.

Look at the feedback people entered for the mags.  People were getting Winchester and other USGI mags sent to them.  They were two to a pack with original GI paper wrap on them.  Some apparently had some rust spots.

I did, the problem was that ALL of the feedback was from many months ago when they had USGI mags and were advertising them as such.

Think about it for a second, the Eblast came out yesterday, the mags sold out yesterday, how did anyone post feedback about what they'd gotten?  Time machine?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try Midway.

I did, the problem was that ALL of the feedback was from many months ago when they had USGI mags and were advertising them as such.

Think about it for a second, the Eblast came out yesterday, the mags sold out yesterday, how did anyone post feedback about what they'd gotten?  Time machine?  

I wasn't suggesting the feedback was from the sale that began and ended yesterday.

I was suggesting the feedback was from a prior sale of the exact same mags offered earlier in the year!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try Midway.

I wasn't suggesting the feedback was from the sale that began and ended yesterday.

I was suggesting the feedback was from a prior sale of the exact same mags offered earlier in the year!

I was curious and that's why I looked at the feedback, when I got the Eblast.  

I didn't look to see how many they had in stock at the time I checked the website, but figured these were the same magazines that Ammoman is selling at $129 for 10.

I guess unless someone who got in on the deal posts that they got USGI or did not get USGI we'll never know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try Midway.

I didn't look to see how many they had in stock at the time I checked the website, but figured these were the same magazines that Ammoman is selling at $129 for 10.

I guess unless someone who got in on the deal posts that they got USGI or did not get USGI we'll never know.

This is from the email from Midway:  With this week’s Eblast you get a great price on Military Surplus M1A 20-Round Magazines

Next time I see the damn things, I'm going to buy five as soon as I open the email.  Not sure how many they had on hand, but the Midway rep said in his reply email to me they went in a couple of hours!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I just placed a backorder for five of the magazines from Midway.  They are being sold as "Military Surplus Type 57 magazines."

Some of the reviews for these mags:

"Absolutly great. It came in the original sealed GI wrapping, stamped Oct. 1962, from Columbus,Ga. Parkerized w/no rust. Much, much better than the cheap imported junk that is being peddled on the market these days. It works, too!! Recommend it highly!"

"Bought one for my M1A 1969 date H&R mfg. brand new condition, will buy another soon"

"Excellent condition USGI magazines. The best.

"Exceeded my expectations. Fit and function was perfect. Both mags were 1969 GI surplus. Will regret not buying more while in stock. "

"Magazines ordered were two to a pack. The pack was dated 1968 and had a small opening on the side. Upon opening the pack, there was some rust coming through the side seam of the magazine. These are the original GI magazines and fit great in my M1A. I can live with a little rust. "

The URL is : Midway EBlast
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#24]
From Midway

# 1970s production, new, unissued, but may show storage marks and may have slight surface rust in seam areas.
# Manufactured in Taiwan using US materials and H&RA (US) machinery for Type 57 rifle, which is the US designation for the Taiwan M14.

That's exactly what I supposed these would be either from Taiwan or wherever it is that the ones Ammoman is selling came from.

Either way it's a good price.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try Midway.

I noticed this sale up a while before they sent it out on Eblast and I guess that's why I was able to get some. Together a friend and I bought about 30 of these mags. Now they did not come in the GI wrap like the feedback says and I know someone already pointed out this feedback was from way back. They each came shrink wrapped with one of Midway's self made SKU stickers on it. Some had tiny spots of rust. Now my friend is an M14 afficionado and of course the first thing we were trying to figure out was if these were GI or not. These magazines have no marks on them, not even on the follower (we checked inside). They look excellent and when put up next to a marked GI mag they look practically identical. Even the spot welds when compared to some BRW mags were almost dead on. The finish is what is puzzling. They do not have the the gritty parkerized feel the most GI magazines have. But I do have a GI mag that shares the same smoother finish as these mags. I have also seen many people at my local range that own GI mags with the smooth finish that they got from SA. The color is the same as my other GI mags. My friend also had some chinese mags that we compared them to and the chinese mags definitely looked different. He also checked with some other M14 historians to confirm that there were indeed GI magazines that were produced that have no markings on them.

It's really hard to say and even we could not come to a GI or not GI conclusion. The most important point that may help you decide on this purchase is they do function as flawlessly as my other GI mags.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I ordered some from Midway last week and I should have them when I get home Thurs. They are shown on the Midway as Type 57 (Taiwan)

From Midway website:

Military Surplus Magazine Type 57 (M1A) 7.62x51mm (308 Winchester) 20-Round Steel Matte Blue

These are new, steel, parkerized military surplus magazines. The popularity of the M1A makes these magazines very hard to find and very expensive when you do find them. We were lucky enough to find a limited quantity of these first quality magazines and are pleased to offer them to you now at this great price. Order today, supplies are very limited.

Material: Steel

Finish: Matte Blue

Also Fits:

Capacity:20 rounds

Notes:

1970s production, new, unissued, but may show storage marks and may have slight surface rust in seam areas.

Manufactured in Taiwan using US materials and H&RA (US) machinery for Type 57 rifle, which is the US designation for the Taiwan M14.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Type 57 mags are USGI spec, from all accounts function perfectly as USGI, some are of the opinion that they are of a better quality than the current USGI Checkmate mags that with the end of the AWB will be available.And even with the ban gone I doubt you'll see a better price on a quality mag. Hell, a USA or similar aftermarket POS sells for about the same.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a dozen CMI mags.  They compare to any other USGI magazine that I have and are nicer than the three Tiawanese magazines I got from Sportsmans Warehouse.  

As an update, I recently bought two of the "Argentinian" 30-rounders.  They're junk.  Both are made of such soft steel that the lips won't hold proper shape.  One lets two rounds out at once and the other lets the left round come up so high it actuates the bolt stop.

Taiwanese mags=good
"Argentinian" mags=bad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top