Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2004 10:19:21 AM EDT
I tried a search on this question but couldn't find anything. Can anybody out there tell me the differences between the National and Super match (price means nothing to me but don't tell my wife). What are the accuracy differences. Is the Super Match worth it? I want to get my first M1A and I want it to be a good one. I thought about the M21 but since I shoot left handed, I was told that the stock on the M21 would cause problems. Can anybody fill me in on what I should get?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Typically, the Super Match has a heavyweight barrel and oversized operating rod guide.  The National Match M1A has a mediumweight barrel and regular size operating rod guide.

My $0.02, buy a standard model M1A and practice with it.  Once you get better than your standard model M1A have it upgraded to either National Match or Super Match status by www.smithenterprise.com or www.fulton-armory.com

I'm not trying to dissuade you from your heart's desire. I'm being honest and trying to help.  I want to see you achieve your dream but reaching it by the route suggested above will be more fulfilling in the long run in my humble opinion.

Check out this article for additional information on the M14 Type Rifle. m14.freeservers.com/about.html    
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advise, but what kind of accuracy can I expect out of every level of M1A? I have this really annoying obsessive compulsive disorder about accuracy! In my mind, why buy a 1 M.O.A. rifle when I can get a 3/4 M.O.A. rifle, then again how about a 1/2 or better M.O.A.? To me, more accuracy is worth the money! Granted, I may not be able to shoot to the level of the rifle, but then again, it gives me a good excuse to go out and practice more!
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A standard model M1A typically shoots 2 1/2" to 3" groups at 100 yards with surplus ammunition and iron sights.  I've shot 1 3/8" groups with hand loads using a standard model M1A at 100 yards and iron sights. This was a standard model M1A with no tweaking or tuning done to it at all with me shooting laying on the desert ground.  YMMV

A National Match M1A should group 1 1/2" at 100 yards with match ammunition.  The Super Match M1A should do 1" groups at 100 yards.  YMMV  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top