Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 9:42:03 AM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a scout/squad (OK I'm going to do it but I'm in the wife mandated cooling off period.)  I want to know if anybody has found a way to co-witness the existing iron sight with an aimpoint or eotech either mounted on the forward rail or over the reciever.  If you have and can post pics I would appreciate it.  If no one has, ARMS and GG&G if your reading this I'll buy the first mount.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The M14 sights aren't high enough to have the same zero for both the irons and M68 CCO, and without a special mount the dot sight will obscure the sight line of the iron sights.

The trajectory differences are minimal, however.

I tried this, didn't like it, and removed the forward "scout" rail, converting a "Scout Squad" rifle into a Bush.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Bushnell scout scope mounted in low rings and there really isn't a chance for co-wittnessing.  My head has to move a fair amount to view the scope and when I do, the rear sight is at the very bottom of the objective lense.  I can't imagine you could lower the scope enough to make it work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can't co-witness is there anything out there that will allow you to use both without removing the optics.  Maybe it would be possible to mount an optic with a mount that had a way to see through it with the iron sights?  From what I can remember about the M1A sights it wouldn't have to be a real big hole through the mount to use the iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a hard enough time getting a good cheek weld with low rings.  I wouldn't want to mess with anything higher than absolutely required.  If your optics ever fail, a quick release mount is probably your best option.  Faulty optics would just be in the way so get them out of there.
Top Top