Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2022 1:30:15 PM EDT
Have some left over 308 and looking at bolt guns again. Been in and out over the years and never found time to get more into it. Times have changed.

So what’s the best bang for your buck rifle and chassis? Got a guy offering a Howa /16” in 308 locally. Just oem stock. Decent rifles?

I figure it won’t be a total package so so options to look at.

Thanks and threaded barrel that’s not super long and in 308 are where I’m at so far.

Thanks and pics for motivation are always welcome ; )
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Christensen arms mpr in 308 with a 20" steel barrel not the carbon fiber and man she's a shooter so far. Something to look at because it's already in its own chassis so the cost may be similar to buying both separate.

Doing some workup with 165gr accubonds and varget for a hunting load

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm into this one about 3 grand, not counting the scope or the bipod, Defiance tenacity action, 30" bartlein barrel, MPA BA chassis, Trigger Tech trigger, APA fat bastard brake

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Seekins Havak
MPA Hybrid Chassis

At least, that's what I went with...
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
What else fellas?

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Not a rifle & chassis, but Sig Cross. Really like mine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks any deals on them?

Late to the cyber week party huh..
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Where’s some spots to look at ready to buy setups?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Mdt oryx chassis overstock on their website for $324. Grabbed one for my Rem 700 SA.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been very happy with my magpul hunter stock on my 400 dollar Remy 308 from academy.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
What’s the general opinion on the sig cross rifles? The weird threaded tapered end a problem when running adapter and a different brake ?

Any good threads to link me to on them?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mdt oryx chassis overstock on their website for $324. Grabbed one for my Rem 700 SA.
View Quote

Do you have a link?  I don't see it for that price on their website.  Only for $429
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's the general opinion on the sig cross rifles? The weird threaded tapered end a problem when running adapter and a different brake ?

Any good threads to link me to on them?
View Quote
The taper is a non-issue, simple 90* adapter lets you run any muzzle device you want.  I don't have any experience with the Cross, but I like my Mini Fix.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Tikka & MDT XRS
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Tikka T3X Tac A1
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Howa’s are great rifles. Mine in .223 is a laser beam with my reloads. I would be hard pressed to find a more accurate rifle even if I spent a lot more money. They have smaller aftermarket support than most but I don’t think you need much for it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Howa’s are great rifles. Mine in .223 is a laser beam with my reloads. I would be hard pressed to find a more accurate rifle even if I spent a lot more money. They have smaller aftermarket support than most but I don’t think you need much for it.
View Quote

Mini action?
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mini action?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Loving my Ruger American in a MOFO chassis.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#19]
For factory rifles, there's a reason Tikka and Bergara tend to be the most common recommendations. The Bergara HMR factory adjustable stock is honestly gtg for most shooters. It really doesn't need anything and I recommend people that go with that option to shoot it as is until they shoot the barrel out and then start upgrading. With the Tikkas, they're excellent rifles but I disagree with the recommendation of the Tac A1. It's a good chassis, but for less money, I could buy a standard T3x CTR and a KRG bravo and be able to use standard AICS pattern magazines.

If you wanted semi-custom, I'd recommend the Seekins Havak HIT or Bravo, depending on your budget. Or if you're wanting something a little more versatile i.e lighter, the hunter models are excellent lightweight rifles that are still capable of precision shooting. Too light to shoot PRS with but I'm guessing you're not going down that path with 308. You could but there's better calibers.

Beyond that, a lot of custom manufacturers offer preset packages to choose from which are cheaper than a full custom.

My choice personally though would be to buy a custom action that I liked the features of the best (Terminus, ARC, Zermatt etc), as all the popular actions have pre-fits available from multiple shops, and buy the chassis of my choice.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I really like my Bergara HMR Pro in 6.5 creed. Most accurate rifle I own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top