Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2021 9:34:01 AM EDT
So I plan on helping my son get his shooting merit badge for shooting we found out a few years ago that his astigmatism in his right eye is screwing up his shooting so I'm going to have to teach him how to shoot left handed.

Not looking for an expensive rifle but not looking for a cricket rifle because he is about 6 foot tall. I'd like a tube or magazine feed but will take a single shot. I want h to focus more on the sights then reloading. For his badge they shoot 22LR I have a range set up at my home and wanting him to shot 100 rounds a day.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
For target shooting you want decent sights.

A good entry level rifle is the Savage FVT in left if you can find one. It does need a cheek riser added to fit properly.

Another cheaper option is the Savage Mark II G Left and upgrade the sights to the Tech Sights for a Mark II.

A really good rifle is the CZ 452 Left and upgrade to a target adjustable receiver sight mounted on the scope rail. Good luck finding those.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
His astigmatism can’t be corrected with glasses?

If he is right-eye dominant, teaching him to shoot left-handed will be very frustrating for you both. Now, if he is left-eye dominant you’re on the right track.

Shoot dominant side and correct the dominant eye if necessary. That’s the best advice I can give.

And if you want a good left handed .22 that will be a family heirloom get a CZ.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Savage FVT - I know you can get a deal on one via 4H and CMP, but unsure of Scouting.  If you can't find a lefty FVT drop Savage an email - they should be able to put one together for you but you may end up paying MSRP
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Browning X-Bolt or if you can find an A-Bolt Medallion would be decent LH rifles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
His astigmatism can't be corrected with glasses?

If he is right-eye dominant, teaching him to shoot left-handed will be very frustrating for you both. Now, if he is left-eye dominant you're on the right track.

Shoot dominant side and correct the dominant eye if necessary. That's the best advice I can give.

And if you want a good left handed .22 that will be a family heirloom get a CZ.
View Quote
All of this.

I've heard that some depth of field stuff can help with astigmatism.  But make sure you know which eye is dominant, that could be a simple fix.

And a healthy +1 to the CX recommendation.  I love mine, and knew a guy who almost exclusively used them for training Safari Club International shooters, with the single-shot sleds for beginners that would allow a regular magazine as a "reward" for more capable/safe/advanced shooters.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All of this.

I've heard that some depth of field stuff can help with astigmatism.  But make sure you know which eye is dominant, that could be a simple fix.

And a healthy +1 to the CX recommendation.  I love mine, and knew a guy who almost exclusively used them for training Safari Club International shooters, with the single-shot sleds for beginners that would allow a regular magazine as a "reward" for more capable/safe/advanced shooters.
View Quote

My son knows I shot a lot and enjoy it and I'm okay at it last time he went to Scout camp he did not want me to even go to the range with him to help out. He has his pride and did not want me to see.

Yet you bring up a good idea maybe I'll try to train him right eye and handed? He has glasses but I know nothing about glasses or eye sight so maybe like you said they should help?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All of this.

View Quote

He seems to use the eye that has the astigmatism in it more being his right eye. I did not think his glasses would or did help with that medical things are my wife's job!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got an astigmatism, with my glasses on it's a non-issue shooting.
Does he wear glasses or contacts?

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Cz 452 lux left hand has long been discontinued but that was “the” answer for a left handed bolt 22 with irons (drop the stock and get tech sights receiver sights.  Last one on gunbroker was over a grand!

Barring that I’d just get him a lever gun.  Henry current production or older marlin 39 lever gun.  The 39 TDS are really nice 18” length but those are also now $1000+ rifles. Use skinner peep sights instead of the stock sights either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top