Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2021 6:14:03 PM EDT
How thick do spacers need to be(can be?)? I'm looking at one I bought to see if I wanted to order more from the company, and it seems overly thick.

I mean if volume is part of what suppresses, then wouldn't as close to paper thin be what is wanted?
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Too thick adds weight and decreases volume.
Too thin and they can crush from the pressure.

An exact thickness would depend on your specific variables  (can design, caliber, etc). However, a thickness of ~.035in (Steel and Ti) is usually adequate.

You can skeletonize them if they're too heavy/thk.
Like this, but not as dramatic

This helps weight and volume, but will allow carbon to get at the tube wall.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too thick adds weight and decreases volume.
Too thin and they can crush from the pressure.

An exact thickness would depend on your specific variables  (can design, caliber, etc). However, a thickness of ~.035in (Steel and Ti) is usually adequate.

You can skeletonize them if they're too heavy/thk.
Like this, but not as dramatic

https://www.capitolarmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f3be9fb739065570a00bc26b396de944/s/c/sco_fbs_new_alt.jpg

This helps weight and volume, but will allow carbon to get at the tube wall.
View Quote

Interesting, thanks. So could you use an under sized spacer? 1.355 baffles and 1.20 spacers( or whatever)?

Don't think I have the skills to make that, but under sizing and drilling a few holes or a slit I could probably handle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Under sizing could work if the baffles have alignment/registration features to keep the spacer aligned.  A rigid column structure is strongest so any staggering or cocking or poor fitment at ends is to be avoided. A lot of the newer skirted cones are thinned out nicely and make stack insertion smoother than skirtless baffles and spacers.  It looks like there could be “cups” designed for porting into annular spacers.  I haven’t checked out all the variations and shifting suppliers lately.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Under sizing could work if the baffles have alignment/registration features to keep the spacer aligned.  A rigid column structure is strongest so any staggering or cocking or poor fitment at ends is to be avoided. A lot of the newer skirted cones are thinned out nicely and make stack insertion smoother than skirtless baffles and spacers.  It looks like there could be “cups” designed for porting into annular spacers.  I haven’t checked out all the variations and shifting suppliers lately.
View Quote

Would a 3/8 rod work before you tightened everything down?

Was thinking the tube would keep everything inline, but I guess it wouldn't take much of a shift blow a suppressor up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn’t rely on friction alone to keep everything in place where there is space for a significant shift if friction fails. For concentric spacers a few thou under tube diameter the shift is constrained to where it is unnoticeable.  For a normal spacer and skirtless baffle build the significant aspect is how square the spacers are cut.  That is still important with sub-diameter spacers but any error there and you could get sub-spacers shifting all over the place until things get carboned up or or the forces balance. If any shift pushes parts into a loose state that’s playing with dominos.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in agreement, especially with regard to the smaller dia parts. Alignment is paramount.

Your alignment rod isn't a bad idea, but machining needs to be scrutinized. A 1.355 baffle only has .005 of difference to a 1.360 tube ID. You'll have to ensure bores are drilled to w/in .0025 of center or else stack insertion and rod extraction will be difficult.

It looks like there could be “cups” designed for porting into annular spacers.  I haven’t checked out all the variations and shifting suppliers lately.
View Quote

@KalmanPhilter I believe we did a thread, maybe a couple weeks back, w/ pseudo Omega baffles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in agreement, especially with regard to the smaller dia parts. Alignment is paramount.

Your alignment rod isn't a bad idea, but machining needs to be scrutinized. A 1.355 baffle only has .005 of difference to a 1.360 tube ID. You'll have to ensure bores are drilled to w/in .0025 of center or else stack insertion and rod extraction will be difficult.

@KalmanPhilter I believe we did a thread, maybe a couple weeks back, w/ pseudo Omega baffles.
View Quote

That's what got me thinking of the undersized spacers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Omega baffles can be quite effective. However, they can take quite a bit of tuning. This is something an SOT can do all day long, but a form 1'er is very limited.

Until you get pretty deep into the form 1 silencer game, I recommend going w/ straight-forward, easy to replicate, designs. Only when you have a better understanding of how features work, why they're put where they are, or how things all work together, is when you should start doing your own experimenting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Is this a good baffle stack? It's an Omega 300.

I've read a lot of people say to go from bigger to smaller as the bullet travels, but it's like they did the opposite.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://preview.redd.it/61xn2p72ay151.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=6afc8fe210fbfcfd6a8efdc8b6435d1797d9351f

Is this a good baffle stack? It's an Omega 300.

I've read a lot of people say to go from bigger to smaller as the bullet travels, but it's like they did the opposite.
View Quote

The Omega 300 is a solid silencer. However, those aren't "Omega" baffles (just to be clear).

IIRC, their spacing from 1 to 2 is close to 3/16"
The next 4 are ~7/16 apart
The final 4 are ~3/8" apart
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Omega 300 is a solid silencer. However, those aren't "Omega" baffles (just to be clear).

IIRC, their spacing from 1 to 2 is close to 3/16"
The next 4 are ~7/16 apart
The final 4 are ~3/8" apart
View Quote

Ya I know. Didn't wanting to take a chance on messing anything up. Maybe on my next one.

I'm doing a 8" can, 1.96" blast chamber, 9 baffles, 1 0.250, 4 0.500, 4 0.375. And going to use the 300 design. Might have to shorten the blast chamber down some.

Thanks for the help. Was thinking they were all the same size, but the one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top