Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2018 12:14:46 AM EDT
@rustyand

looking for input on a 10" 50 cal. can, for use with 458 supers and subs, and 50 subs only.  Best baffle type?  Welded the only option?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe they are designed to maximize internal volume of the suppressor and minimize poi shift depending on clip style. Plus there shirtless so you can maximize spacing options. I'm sure others will have a more detailed description.
I have used them and am very happy with the outcome.
Monocore designs are kind of out dated aren't they?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe they are designed to maximize internal volume of the suppressor and minimize poi shift depending on clip style. Plus there shirtless so you can maximize spacing options. I'm sure others will have a more detailed description.
View Quote
I edited my question, don't want to start anything in this forum, some of the other regulars might start shit.

I thought monos were good for subs?  

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Cones (mixed designs) or radials would be best and easiest to produce. K's are an option, but you don't usually get em right, the first time.
Welded or pieces is your choice. I'd use a 1.75" Aluminum tube. Pressures will be lower so saving weight, on a 12" can, would be nice.

Monos can be good, but IME they take longer to refine than straight cones. A luxury the Form 1 builder doesn't have. If you were to scale drawings of the Leonidas, you might come out with a decent build.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I edited my question, don't want to start anything in this forum, some of the other regulars might start shit.

Thanks for the reply.
View Quote
It was a legit question.  I was kinda curious myself. I don't believe there the be all end all for every application out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.
Since I am not permitted to advertise, some belive just posting my email is advertising, some one was kind enough to post my Contact info in the vendor thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Form-1-Suppressor-Parts-Suppliers-list-and-Form-1-Parts-Weights-List-/55-457778

Asylum9 hit the exact highlights on the RSC. No welded is not the only option. You can. Have a user serviceable can that is strong  and will do what you want.

Monocore do have there place but not In a rifle can imho,  or in larger caliber than a 22lr. But again just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It was a legit question.  I was kinda curious myself. I don't believe there the be all end all for every application out there.
View Quote
RSCs remind me of the formed baffles in the older ops reflex cans.  Work great with aggressive clipping.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since I am not permitted to advertise, some belive just posting my email is advertising, some one was kind enough to post my Contact info in the vendor thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Form-1-Suppressor-Parts-Suppliers-list-and-Form-1-Parts-Weights-List-/55-457778

Asylum9 hit the exact highlights on the RSC. No welded is not the only option. You can. Have a user serviceable can that is strong  and will do what you want.

Monocore do have there place but not In a rifle can imho,  or in larger caliber than a 22lr. But again just my opinion.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply; we have been emailing on the other board
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cones (mixed designs) or radials would be best and easiest to produce. K's are an option, but you don't usually get em right, the first time.
Welded or pieces is your choice. I'd use a 1.75" Aluminum tube. Pressures will be lower so saving weight, on a 12" can, would be nice.

Monos can be good, but IME they take longer to refine than straight cones. A luxury the Form 1 builder doesn't have. If you were to scale drawings of the Leonidas, you might come out with a decent build.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.  Truth on the luxury of modification.  Stupid law.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
did some paper napkin sketching.

Since this will be a direct thread can, thinking about a coaxial, similar to a gemtech style.  All TI tubes and baffles with a SS 60 cone to divert the gas into the chamber.  50 bmg subs are .510.
Thoughts on bore size, baffle number, and spacing?

Now with crappy not to scale MS Paint!

Blue- Ti tube 2.25 OD x 10 Long
Purple- Ti tube 1.625 OD x 7.5 Long

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
did some paper napkin sketching.

Since this will be a direct thread can, thinking about a coaxial, similar to a gemtech style.  All TI tubes and baffles with a SS 60 cone to divert the gas into the chamber.  50 bmg subs are .510.
Thoughts on bore size, baffle number, and spacing?

Now with crappy not to scale MS Paint!

Blue- Ti tube 2.25 OD x 10 Long
Purple- Ti tube 1.625 OD x 7.5 Long

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/193427/coax_sketch-653060.JPG
View Quote
I've been down  this path with many different calibers and Tube sizes. Different hole locations to fill the coaxial chamber, different length tubes in and out, even adjustable tube.lengths. every time just as I thought I was getting closer it never paid off compared to a std otb can or even an integrated can.

Perhaps you will.be successful, good luck. Just a suggestion on the 50 cal 1.750 x 11" with 8 rsc I do belive will.get you where you want to go. I would suggest tI but a .2024 .080 wall will work also.on a slow fire rate.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@rustyand

looking for input on a 10" 50 cal. can, for use with 458 supers and subs, and 50 subs only.  Best baffle type?  Welded the only option?

Thanks
View Quote
.458 what?  SOCOM?  Win Mag?  Lott?

There's a big difference in trying to quiet down a cartridge burning a 30-40 gr. charge vs a 70-80 gr., not just in design strength, but in blast chamber size, baffle spacing and baffle type.

That said, I don't think you need a 2-1/4" x 10" can to get it done even if you were using the big Lott round.  .50 BMG supers, yeah, and then some, but 240+ gr powder charges are a whole 'nother ball game from even the biggest commercial magnums like .460 Weatherby.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Kudos for design, but, I agree, you're overdoing it. The 2 tubes would be pushing 1lb and that's with only .05 Thk walls; .07 walls would be well over 1lb.
1.75 x 11" Aluminum Tube w/ 6-8 (Ti) baffles and an average spacing of around 1" should do nicely.
Progressively spacing your baffle layout can also help.

The Bowers Vers 50 is 11.25" and 20oz (Aluminum and SS)
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've been down  this path with many different calibers and Tube sizes. Different hole locations to fill the coaxial chamber, different length tubes in and out, even adjustable tube.lengths. every time just as I thought I was getting closer it never paid off compared to a std otb can or even an integrated can.

Perhaps you will.be successful, good luck. Just a suggestion on the 50 cal 1.750 x 11" with 8 rsc I do belive will.get you where you want to go. I would suggest tI but a .2024 .080 wall will work also.on a slow fire rate.
View Quote
Thanks for weighing in.  I appreciate your knowledge and recommendation.

I wonder why the commercial coax cans work so well?  Lots and lots of R and D time to tune?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

.458 what?  SOCOM?  Win Mag?  Lott?

There's a big difference in trying to quiet down a cartridge burning a 30-40 gr. charge vs a 70-80 gr., not just in design strength, but in blast chamber size, baffle spacing and baffle type.

That said, I don't think you need a 2-1/4" x 10" can to get it done even if you were using the big Lott round.  .50 BMG supers, yeah, and then some, but 240+ gr powder charges are a whole 'nother ball game from even the biggest commercial magnums like .460 Weatherby.
View Quote
Sorry about that.

Main host would be a 458 tromix 8" SBR AR, subs and supers.  Then some bmg sub variant like a whisper at some point, but I need to get some cans complete before i build that rifle.

I was hoping the coax design would help with the blast from the supers, and give a nice low tone on the subs.  But I am trying to make a compromise can, and it is far from optimal it appears.

What are your thoughts on an ideal can for this?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Main host would be a 458 tromix 8" SBR AR, subs and supers.  Then some bmg sub variant like a whisper at some point, but I need to get some cans complete before i build that rifle.

I was hoping the coax design would help with the blast from the supers, and give a nice low tone on the subs.  But I am trying to make a compromise can, and it is far from optimal it appears.
View Quote
OK, so we basically want to optimize for the .458 SOCOM, but make the hole big enough for .510" projectiles.

Do you have a lathe & mill, or are we buying commercial parts to build this?

Coaxial chambers have their place, but in general, you're better off using the available volume of your tube between the baffles.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Kudos for design, but, I agree, you're overdoing it. The 2 tubes would be pushing 1lb and that's with only .05 Thk walls; .07 walls would be well over 1lb.
1.75 x 11" Aluminum Tube w/ 6-8 (Ti) baffles and an average spacing of around 1" should do nicely.

View Quote
Well damn, nobody likes to hear their idea won't work, especially when they know the other person is correct

Thanks for weighing in.  

I have 4 cans to finish, and this 50 caliber can is the only one that does not have an easily copied, proven design I can mimic.

Never thought of aluminum.   What should i do with this 2.25 TI tube I have?   It is .05 and 12 inches....  maybe submit a form 1 12 gauge can?    I have wanted one of those for awhile but don't know if I want an integral complete with brass eyelets or a thread on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OK, so we basically want to optimize for the .458 SOCOM, but make the hole big enough for .510" projectiles.
Yes
Yes to both, but I still don't mind paying for commercial parts if it saves me time and they are proven parts/outcome.  Especially since i only get the one shot to make it properly.
Coaxial chambers have their place, but in general, you're better off using the available volume of your tube between the baffles.  What is the place of coax chambers?  I can read silencer talk for hours and not get a definitive answer it seems.  Thanks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Right on the money! The only thing I would suggest in addition is using a progressive bore along with the DHC.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for weighing in.  I appreciate your knowledge and recommendation.

I wonder why the commercial coax cans work so well?  Lots and lots of R and D time to tune?
View Quote
I would guess it depends more on the definition of performance being used and how the data was collected.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Make a REALLY quiet rimfire can? It is .05 and 12 inches.

I always wonder what a 4"x2.25" can on my PS90 would sound like. And think of other applications where short/fat cans might be nice if they don't obstruct the sights.

I'd be interested in a direct thread F1 can for my Beowulf using most of that tube. But I've also thought about a shotgun can similar to the XCaliber SS1C.
View Quote
I swear to God if I had not heard about that 12 gauge can... it is very different then the salvo.... you are the worst enabler ever....  off to whip up another form 1

Thanks man
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Coaxial chambers have their place, but in general, you're better off using the available volume of your tube between the baffles.
View Quote
@sixtysixdeuce

Thanks for the email man!  I'm still digesting all of that information, I appreciate you sending it, and I promise not to divulge any trade secrets

It's pretty clear what I need to do now in order to have a good can.  

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
That 12 gauge SS1C is a big girl; 2.5 OD by 14 1/4 inches...
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And yet, it's 6.5oz lighter than the Salvo.
View Quote
How does your friends sound? (If you had the chance to hear it)

I kinda regret my 1st SBS as an A5, since it won't play well with a can.  But I do love the A5.  So I will need to Form 1 another shotgun along with the can.  This is a very expensive hobby
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Definitely want to see where this goes. Most of this stuff is all over my head but I like it anyway. I thought about trying a form 1 50 can for my first but eventually saw a Vers 50 for a decent deal and snagged it. I have a SBR Encore in 500 as well as a guide gun in need of being threaded.

Haven’t shot it yet but it sounds like your purpose is similar. It’d be cool if a 50 big can was easy and cheap as well but these seem like a good in between. Can’t wait to eventually try some big subsonic 500’s.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Do any of the current suppliers even offer tube diameter as large as 2"?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I saw over on Form1Suppressors.net, someone just built a .458 SOCOM Can.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a monocore design that is AWSOME in rifle cans.  It produces ridiculously good sound reduction in a decent sized package.  It has been good from 22 rimfire all the way up to 338 LM, with the exception of 308 Win for some reason.

However I will admit that I use clipped, stepped cones for large volume, low pressure subsonics.  The mono core baffle seems to require some pressure and flow to work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
TiJoe and a lathe
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I saw over on Form1Suppressors.net, someone just built a .458 SOCOM Can.
View Quote
Cool, link?

Quoted:
I have a monocore design that is AWSOME in rifle cans.  It produces ridiculously good sound reduction in a decent sized package.  It has been good from 22 rimfire all the way up to 338 LM, with the exception of 308 Win for some reason.

However I will admit that I use clipped, stepped cones for large volume, low pressure subsonics.  The mono core baffle seems to require some pressure and flow to work.
View Quote
Care to share pics?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Care to share pics?
View Quote
I hope I'm wrong, but don't hold your breath... I've asked for pictures/patent numbers, even just brand/model information for his designs more than once. Radio silence, still. I'm genuinely curious, based on his claims and descriptions alone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
i'm a little late to the party, but here's one:

2"x12" aluminum kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top