Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2021 6:07:51 PM EDT
I have a question about sbr pistols such as a glock or a cz scorpion, that are originally configured as a pistol.

If you get a tax stamp and add a stock are they always a rifle or can you just take the stock off and it be a pistol again?
For instance if I got a sbr glock and had a stock on it for around the house but then take the stock off, put it in my iwb holster and go to the store, can you switch back and forth from sbr to non tax stamp pistol?
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
They are only NFA in that configuration… if you SBR a Glock, it is only a SBR when the stock is attached.

Handgun when it is not attached.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to know.

It would be nice to have a stock/riflescope/forward grip/ on a pistol glock/scorpion/AR etc and be able to use it as a rifle but also be able to strip it all off and conceal carry/travel across states lines without notifying the ATF/let a friend borrow it/keep it loaded in a vehicle if I so desire as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure about the "letting someone borrow it" as it is in the NFA registry, maybe someone could clear that up that's more familiar with the law.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, if it's a glock and you take the stock off then you can concealed carry it with a permit, a sbr isn't covered with a ccw. So if in non-sbr configuration it is no longer subject to NFA rules, then you should be able to treat it as a regular pistol. As far as someone else having it, it could just be in a vehicle in non-sbr configuration and the wife takes the vehicle to the store or it's in camp with my buddies and I head out for an afternoon hunt then it's not NFA item, no big deal.

I also like the idea of maybe a 300 blackout pdw pistol with red dot but be able to toss a stock and thermal scope on it and do some night hunting. All you have to do is take the scope and stock with it. It's a pistol while driving around but at camp or the cabin can put the accessories on to switch from car ccw to night hunting without hauling a bunch of guns or just being able to put a stock on when at the cabin or in camp when no longer in a ccw environment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top