Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2020 10:50:34 PM EDT
I’ve got both 10.5 and 11.5 SBRs and I’m using .223 pressure ammo

From my research 11.5 is recommended to make bullets designed for fragmentation to work within 100y

Will 11.5 also be sufficient to make 62gr Fed Tactical Bonded ammo work effectively out to 100y...?

Obviously barrel length equates to bullet speed and the mechanics of bonded ammo is different than fmj

Appreciate any help
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
10.5” barrel test

Best .223 Defense Ammo Ever? Federal 5.56mm 62gr FBIT3 Gel Test
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The FBI loading seems excellent...

I wonder what difference we might see at .223 pressure..?

Out to 100y..?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The FBI loading seems excellent...

I wonder what difference we might see at .223 pressure..?

Out to 100y..?
View Quote
I’m interested in this as well, not only for the FBI load but also rounds like Gold Dot, etc.  My primary HD gun is run 100% of the time suppressed and although my logic may be flawed my thinking is that due to the increased fouling of a suppressed gun I would want 5.56 pressures to avoid any fouling-induced failures.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
No personal experience with it, but I seem to recall that 50-gr. Barnes TSX tested well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’m interested in this as well, not only for the FBI load but also rounds like Gold Dot, etc.  My primary HD gun is run 100% of the time suppressed and although my logic may be flawed my thinking is that due to the increased fouling of a suppressed gun I would want 5.56 pressures to avoid any fouling-induced failures.
View Quote
My work gun is a 11.5 BCM with Noveske KX5 since we aren’t authorized suppressors.

If that changes... which is being considered... I may go to a can.

As for shooting suppressed with .223/5.56 I wouldn’t worry about it.

My training sessions run around 500 rounds from a Noveske 12” with AAC M4-2000

I’m not overly focused on cleaning but I’ve done 1K to 2K through it with can without adding oil even. No issues.

5.56 loads give ya another 1-200 FPS but there’s plenty of .223 bonded rounds that perform well like Tac Bonded, Gold Dot and Fusion
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My work gun is a 11.5 BCM with Noveske KX5 since we aren’t authorized suppressors.

If that changes... which is being considered... I may go to a can.

As for shooting suppressed with .223/5.56 I wouldn’t worry about it.

My training sessions run around 500 rounds from a Noveske 12” with AAC M4-2000

I’m not overly focused on cleaning but I’ve done 1K to 2K through it with can without adding oil even. No issues.

5.56 loads give ya another 1-200 FPS but there’s plenty of .223 bonded rounds that perform well like Tac Bonded, Gold Dot and Fusion
View Quote
My 11.5” Criterion barrel is 1/8 twist.  Are there any bullet weights or types that I should steer clear of to avoid any stability issues?   As I said, I’m running suppressed (AAC M4-2000) and don’t want any suppressor strike issues.  I thought I read somewhere that the 75gr Gold Dot requires special attention to barrel length and twist.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven’t had much experience shooting the heavy 75-77gr stuff

I tested the 62gr Fed Tac and Gold Dot in both 1/7 and 1/8 16” guns and 1/7 SBRs

All were accurate and reliable
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My 11.5" Criterion barrel is 1/8 twist.  Are there any bullet weights or types that I should steer clear of to avoid any stability issues?   As I said, I'm running suppressed (AAC M4-2000) and don't want any suppressor strike issues.  I thought I read somewhere that the 75gr Gold Dot requires special attention to barrel length and twist.
View Quote
1:8 outta stabilize the heavy bullets without issue. I can't speak to gold dot specifically but I've taken a 1:8 twist out to 400 yards with 77gr SMKs and didn't notice any obvious issues relative to my 1:7 twist bbls.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Real answer....unless you need to shoot through windshield glass, any open tip/soft tip bullet will be very lethal.

There are teams running varmint loads in hostage rescue world because they want that massive energy dump with limited penetration/reduced ricochet.

If you have a likelihood of having intermediate barriers like glass or similar...the bonded bullets are king with the Barnes X being top of the class...
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Real answer....unless you need to shoot through windshield glass, any open tip/soft tip bullet will be very lethal.

There are teams running varmint loads in hostage rescue world because they want that massive energy dump with limited penetration/reduced ricochet.

If you have a likelihood of having intermediate barriers like glass or similar...the bonded bullets are king with the Barnes X being top of the class...
View Quote
What weight?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What weight?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What weight?
The x bullets are usually the 62 or 70 gr versions.

Osama got one in the face...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top