Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2013 3:15:38 PM EDT
10.5" barrel - I currently have a KX3. My only concern is muzzle rise. I was looking at the battlecomp. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If your not going full auto I think you should be fine with whatever break, or compensator you decide on.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're holding the gun properly, it shouldn't be an issue.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm using a Battlecomp 1.0 on one of my 10.5s.  It definitely makes a difference on muzzle rise, just not a big one.  Unless you're doing mag dumps and shooting full auto, I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get an A5 tube and heavy spring and buffer before putting a comp/brake on a 10.5. It's loud enough. My 10.4" 416's HK buffer and spring is real stiff and heavy and has noticeably less recoil/muzzle rise than my DD mk18 with a stock spring and H2 buffer.

http://heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Man up, its .223 not .458 or something.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit. Its for 3 gun and id like to get quicker double taps.

Already have an H2 buffer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going with the Rainier Arms Mini Comp for my SBR build. Gonna be loud and fun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... I used to use my MK18 clone (10.5" M4) for three gun matches and I had difficulty getting fast times on 300+ yard targets. I switched to a SCAR16 last year which weighed about the same and have never looked back. I just wish the Gieslie triggers for it weren't $350. But I will eventually have one anyway. They are great rifles when you want a light 16" barrel and something that isn't an AR like everyone else.

Also the further away from your firing hand you can get your support hand on the hand guard the easier it is to control muzzle climb. With a 10.5" barrel you cant get that far out when compared to a mid length or something else like a SCAR with extended rail.

Video

montana multi gun championship 2013
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well... I used to use my MK18 clone (10.5" M4) for three gun matches and I had difficulty getting fast times on 300+ yard targets. I switched to a SCAR16 last year which weighed about the same and have never looked back. I just wish the Gieslie triggers for it weren't $350. But I will eventually have one anyway. They are great rifles when you want a light 16" barrel and something that isn't an AR like everyone else.

Also the further away from your firing hand you can get your support hand on the hand guard the easier it is to control muzzle climb. With a 10.5" barrel you cant get that far out when compared to a mid length or something else like a SCAR with extended rail.

Video

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video

so it may be the fact that it is a 10.5 that is the limiting factor for getting the muzzle under control? Ive watched other competitors rifles not move at all. I figured changing out the KX3 might help

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

so it may be the fact that it is a 10.5 that is the limiting factor for getting the muzzle under control? Ive watched other competitors rifles not move at all. I figured changing out the KX3 might help

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video

gas port size also has a lot to do with it. 10.5s seem to be all over the place depending on the make. I've heard of Bushies and DD having gas ports measuring in the .091 range with others around .072(IIRC), the difference between the two would be noticeable. An adjustable GB might be the ticket.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

gas port size also has a lot to do with it. 10.5s seem to be all over the place depending on the make. I've heard of Bushies and DD having gas ports measuring in the .091 range with others around .072(IIRC), the difference between the two would be noticeable. An adjustable GB might be the ticket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video

^This.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Try an ST2 buffer.  I've compared my 11.5 BCM to a friend's DD Mk18 clone.  He has an H2 and I use an ST2.  Both have standard flash hiders - no comps.  Despite his rifle being about a pound heavier, mine shoots noticeably flatter.  There is slightly more straight to the rear recoil on mine, but much less muzzle flip.  Obviously not a straight apples to apples comparison, but it feels to me like the ST2 changes the recoil impulse.  It's just slightly sharper straight back, but flatter.  The H2 has a spongy feel with a very noticeably straight up flip.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I put a Battlecomp 2.0 on my 10.5 and I think it certainly speeds up follow up shots. Creates a "straight back" recoil pulse, currently running a H buffer but am going to try an ST-2 and H2 as well as different springs to see if I can make it softer, but it runs like a top as is with a variety of ammo.

My trigger is more of an impediment for me at 200 plus, gonna have to find some cash to fix that.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#14]
My 11.5 I use for 3 gun, used to run a KX3. But the rules required a smaller diameter and I wanted less muzzle rise. So I decided to screw the RO's, I now run it with an H2 buffer, M16 carrier, heavy spring, and a PWS FSC556 comp. Behind the gun it isn't too bad, but to the side it's punishing. But it has no muzzle rise and with a good trigger it runs amazing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#15]
A2 FH, heavy buffer (h2 or 3), and proper form
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Griffin Comp on an 11.5" barrel was the flattest shooting AR15 I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:49:32 AM EDT
[#17]
If you want extremely flat (yet annoying) the MB556 from Surefire does its job.  Here it is on a full auto 12" SBR with H2 buffer.  Gun pushed straight back, very little rise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSs_JbjhPLs
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]
My mb556k works great on my 11.5 bcm and h2 buffer. Barely any recoil at all. It is loud and the concussion is intense. I cant stand shooting it indoors without my suppressor.   Outdoors its only bad for my friends lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for the Surefire mb556k. World of difference.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run a KX3 / H3on a 7.5" for 2/3gun and I don't have much trouble staying in the top 4-5  

(But 95% of our stuff is within 50yd, and most of that is within 15yd)

Anything more brake-ish is gonna be less than fun to shoot in CQ stages with walls around you...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#21]
The recipe for 'low recoil' in three gun usually involves long gas systems, light reciprocating parts, and adjustable gas blocks, not short barrels.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The recipe for 'low recoil' in three gun usually involves long gas systems, light reciprocating parts, and adjustable gas blocks, not short barrels.
View Quote

This is the better answer if you're in matches with longer shots, but longer rifles will slow you down in the close quarters stuff like we normally run.
I've shot matches with some good sponsored shooters, and on our closer stages, I was running a gunning while they were swinging their tactical broomsticks through the doorways
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you're holding the gun properly, it shouldn't be an issue.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#24]
You will immediately regret putting a compensator on an SBR'ed AR15.  I speak from experience.  They are painfully loud, even with good earmuffs.  My 12.5" with a brake would still ring my ears with MSA Sordin Supreme Pros.  I had to double up with plugs.  I put the A2 back on and havent looked back.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I love the Surefire brake, but then again I have to go with them as I use their supressor.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I love the Surefire brake, but then again I have to go with them as I use their supressor.
View Quote

Even if you dont have a suppressor this is my favorite break on the market
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You will immediately regret putting a compensator on an SBR'ed AR15.  I speak from experience.  They are painfully loud, even with good earmuffs.  My 12.5" with a brake would still ring my ears with MSA Sordin Supreme Pros.  I had to double up with plugs.  I put the A2 back on and havent looked back.
View Quote

I wouldn't speak in absolutes about something like this.  I have a Surefire brake on a12.5" SBR and shot next to this gun in a training class (I loaned it to a buddy in the class) for 30 rounds at a distance of about 5 feet.  No ringing in my ears (only using Leight Impact ear pro, no plugs) and no issues with concentration on my own target during the drills.

I have actually pulled an A2 off this gun (tried to force myself to like it) and put the Surefire back on as the trade off in feel of the gun while shooting wasn't worth the reduction in concussion.

TJ43,
What type of range were you shooting on?  Mine's wicked at indoor ranges but not bad outside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top