Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2013 2:15:20 PM EDT

I do recommend an adjustable gas block if you don't already have one. It saves a little wear and tear on your rifle.

So being that I have swallowed the pill of Piston Rifle's ( Own 2 POF AR's) I'm in need of some info. on what the hard facts are about using a Adj. gas block on this SBR that I'm building. I have decided to use a 11.5" barrel and to go with a can on it at the same time. Thus killing two birds with one stone.

SO I've been looking around and have seen them from as little as $29.99 to $129.99. Knowing you get what you pay for, I'm not sure I want a 30.00 block. But, since this is a SBR and NOT a full length rifle barrel, I'm not sure what to do. Thus where you fine folks come to the playing field.

Since you guys have made the mistakes, I mean learned the hard way.  Tell me what you have learned.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't really give you an answer because I am in the same dilemma as you.

Syrac adjustable gas blocks seems to get a lot of praise. They use an allen for the adjustment with a built in detent to prevent the set screw from moving.

I saw seekins has one that uses a brass set screw to provide the friction on the adjustment screw. I've been happy with seekins stuff and it is in the $60 range.

Noveske has the switchblock, if you can find one.

Looking at spending $120+ for an adjustable gas block, I am almost thinking of spending the money on a piston kit which comes with an adjustable gas block.  

I am curious why you are not going with piston on your SBR when you have other piston rifles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the Noveske Switchblock is very cool, has the normal, suppressed, and off settings. Of course it heats up so you will probably won't mess with the settings too much. I also like the JP adjustable gas block if you really want to tune the gas system yourself. This is more ideal if you plan on running suppressed all the time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]

I am curious why you are not going with piston on your SBR when you have other piston rifles.

Pretty much the cost and not being able to find a SBR Piston upper at this time for under 2-K. I talked to POF back in Oct. and that time they where about 8 months out. Now, There not even talking orders for uppers, Complete rifles only and no time frame for getting in your hands. And then add in any type of ban ( that I don't think will happen)

But who knows who will flip flop and sell us out next. Because none of these asshats in DC wouldn't punch there own mother in the face to further there agenda.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an 11.5" setup with a Noveske Switchblock and an AAC M4-2000 can.  It works beautifully for me.

That being said, my next SBR will either have an Innovative Arms W.A.R. upper or something like the Micro MOA Govnah for adjustable gas.

The biggest downfall for the Switchblock is that you either have to run a carbine length rail and leave the gas block exposed in front of the rail (which I can't stand) or you have to do what I did and buy a longer rail and have the top portion milled out so that the gas block has its own slot.  Not that I am unhappy with it because it worked out great, but it is alot of hassle.

The WAR upper has the adjustable gas settings on the left side of the upper and it has the same Suppressed, non-suppressed settings as the Switchblock.  

The Micro MOA Govnah is an adjustable gas block that fits inside of most rails and you adjust it with a bullet tip through the holes in your rails (similar to the Larue adjustable gas block on the OBR, I believe).  Downside is making sure your rail vent holes line up with the switch.

That being said, I am definitely a fan of the preset positions that these three options have instead of the infinitely adjustable set screw system of regular adjustable gas blocks.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pretty much the cost and not being able to find a SBR Piston upper at this time for under 2-K. I talked to POF back in Oct. and that time they where about 8 months out. Now, There not even talking orders for uppers, Complete rifles only and no time frame for getting in your hands. And then add in any type of ban ( that I don't think will happen)

But who knows who will flip flop and sell us out next. Because none of these asshats in DC wouldn't punch there own mother in the face to further there agenda.

Not arguing, but you have experience so I am asking asking questions. What about using a conversion kit?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't overthink it.

Kies Adjustable Gas Block $33.95

I have two, on a short barrel 6.8 and 300BLK.  They are simple, cheap and WORK
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a WAR upper.  I'll let y'all know how it runs once I get everything installed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#8]

What about using a conversion kit?

Well thats a option, And i've thought about that really hard. And might go that route down the road, But at this point Im all set up as a DI weapon. Not that swapping out the BCG parts, And gas block would be that big of a deal. But I've been looking around to a conversion kit and haven't seen any in stock.

Now by the time I wait on the BATF for a stamp, this all in panic buying MIGHT be over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top