Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2020 4:39:31 PM EDT

I have a 1920's Belgium proofed 16ga SxS with a thumb print sized spot on one barrel.  It is not rusty or pitted, just much lighter colored than the surrounding area.

I have tried various times to thoroughly clean it with 90% alcohol and then use PermaBlue paste to touch it up - following the instructions I think.  Any suggestions on methods for touch up?  Because this spot comes back no matter what I do and it's ugly.

ETA:  Appreciate the help guys.  Used the Oxpho-Blue from Brownells.  Seems to have done a better job.  It isn't perfect, but you can't really notice the spot unless you look close now.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
have you tried oxphoblue from Brownells?

How are you applying it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
have you tried oxphoblue from Brownells?

How are you applying it?
View Quote

No, I used Birchwood Casey PermaBlue paste.  I applied it by dabbing a little on the end of a q-tip, and the dabbing the q-tip into the light spot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had more luck with BC Super Blue, apply bluing, heat, remove with rag, repeat. After that gun oil.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Oxphoblue since the other isn't giving sat results.  For stubborn spots, here how I do it.  Degrease the area well.  Apply heat it until it's just barely too hot to touch.  A apply a small amount of Oxphoblue with a Q-Tip or something.  If it bubbles a little and you see a little bit of steam/smoke, that's no big deal.  Lightly buff the area with 0000 steel wool for a few seconds or until the Oxphoblue is gone.  Repeat until satisfied.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  Never knew about using heat.  Went ahead and ordered some Oxpho_Blue, and I'll try heating it this time.

Appreciate it thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top