Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2018 6:05:40 PM EDT
I took the barrel off of a Winchester model 70 and put on a "used" barrel chambered in 300 Weatherby.

The bolt does not close on the GO gauge, but it does close on a new cartridge.

Am I good to go, or will I die a horrible death?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Is renting a reamer and opening up the chamber a touch out of the question? I would figure that's you're best bet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is renting a reamer and opening up the chamber a touch out of the question? I would figure that's you're best bet.
View Quote
This ^ Is probably good advice, since you are essentially short chambered.

https://4drentals.com/products/reamer-rentals/rifle/
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The bolt should close on a GO gauge.

The first thing I'd do is see if you can lap the bolt into the proper headspace.  Lapping compound is cheap and this is an easy operation to do that is extremely difficult screw up.  Unlike trying to cut .001" with a rented reamer, which requires considerably more experience and is REALLY EASY to screw up badly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
So I pulled the barrel off and compared it with the original barrel 7mmMag. The 300 Wby barrel is .003 deeper. I then put the original barrel back on and checked with the headspace gauge. I got the same result, won't close on GO gauge, will easily close on new cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Given that the chamber is just a little short nothing dangerous is going to happen when you shoot it, but you will likely find some  factory ammo that will NOT chamber...and maybe that will be dangerous if the grizzly is getting close when you find a round that will not chamber...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top