Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2018 10:14:40 PM EDT
Building a straight pull AR and with a 5.56 4140 Alloy Steel blank.  It is unfinished at 1.25 and I want to make it a 16.5" barrel with 1/2-28 threaded muzzle.  There will be no gas port and my lathe is limited to 9.25" taper travel.  The easy way out is to just make it a straight bull barrel...but to reduce weight I would prefer more of a pencil barrel.  Options include a straight barrel from muzzle back approx 4" then start taper or start taper at muzzle back approx 9" then go straight.  Just looking for some ideas...remember...it will not have have a gas port. Thanks

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're just wanting a pencil barrel, why not turn it down to A1 dimensions? If memory serves me right, it's around .600 behind the gas block, .625 journal, and .575 or so to the muzzle(except for threads if you're doing that). Simple profile, really light weight, easy to turn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top