Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2017 8:37:47 PM EDT
I'm considering embarking on a journey which ends with me completing the build of my very own 1911.  And I mean no disrespect, but watching a bunch of YouTube videos ain't gonna cut it for me.  Ideally, I'd like to take a pile of new parts into a classroom, and be trained and supervised by a professional during my first build.

Has anyone ever done this?  What are my options?  What "school" is the best?

Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
"The LAV" used to do a class like that but it was $$$$.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Trinidad offers a 1911 Accurizing course, and pretty sure Montgomery offered one in the past.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Bruce Piatt does a 1911 build class using only hand tools.  You'll leave with a badass 1911 and a firm knowledge of how everything works.  I't s a 5 day class, $1500 fee (last I knew) plus parts and tools.  Email me if you want to set up a class.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I took the Vickers' course in 2008 and I can tell you, I learned a lot in that class.  The cool thing is, he taught us to build the entire pistol out of hand tools, we went over fitting an over sized frame and slide, hardfitting the barrel and bushing, trigger jobs and most importantly reliability work.  I learned things in that class that to this day I haven't seen anywhere else.  It's pricey, there's no doubt about it, especially by the time you figure in tools, parts, travel time, lodging, etc. However, the class served me very well.  I've built 12-15 guns now and every one of them has ran like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Marvel, Laughridge, Murray State, Gunsite.

Lots of other very good (expensive) options.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody else taken a class, I was thinking about signing up for one and was looking at Bob Marvel and Bob Rodgers. I was looking for reviews and wanted one that they use hand tools mostly.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Cylinder & Slide Shop offer a 1911 build class.  You leave with a complete 1911 pistol.

As I recall it was all hand tools work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at Trinidad State. I took a few 1911 classes there. One was from Brownells, and the other from one of their instructors. Both were excellent courses, and quite reasonably priced(around $375 ea if I remember). The Brownells class was more about building, and the other class was more about accurizing an existing pistol, BUT there is a lot of overlap there and I'm pretty certain the instructor from the accurizing class would accommodate you if you were building one. I've taken a few classes from him and he's excellent. Both of these classes are intended for people with little or no machining experience.

The only thing I'll caution you about is that you'll inevitably find a bunch of other courses you'll want to take and Trinidad will become a yearly trip(ask me how I know).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top