Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 5:13:15 AM EDT
I have a bunch of jobs that require long reaching drills, not necessarily long fluted or deep hole drilling, but long length of reach.  For example, a large diameter square tube that requires a hole in the top, and a hole in the bottom, but space between.  Our traditional methods of doing this are slow, generally using a 2xD drill to make the first hole, reaching through the hole with a center drill to spot the bottom, then using a 7xD drill to make the bottom hole.  Generally speaking, the reason for this is that using the long drill alone causes wobble and out of tolerance holes, broken inserts, etc.

I seem to remember from my trade school days, paging through one book or another, and seeing drills that were ground with a center drill style tip, and then the full diameter a step lower.  I'm thinking I could have some carbide drills custom ground in this fashion at the lengths I need to reach, and eliminate a couple extra steps.

Anyone know of a tool profile like I'm thinking of?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
MSC Industrial Supply
800-753-7970

I think what you are needing is an indexable pilot full flute step drill.HTH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top