Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 Pistol (Page 240 of 251)
Page / 251
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TateJJ03:
So I have had one baffling day (pun intended) and I am mildly perplexed.

A few months ago while getting my Scorpion ready to Form 1 and 922R compliant - I had a LGS, install the new HBI trigger spring pack.  Thanks to the ammo shortage - I fired 2-3 mags unsuppressed to check for function- everything seemed fine.

Today I went to my LGS where my Griffin Armament Resistance 9 can is being held in jail, to have a supervised range visit.

Initially I shot some Armscor 147 grain subs - first trigger pull - I got what seemed to be a slam fire (2 shots ripped though) then I got a squib load.  

Also discovered that I had a mild baffle strike.  

Switched to PMC 115 grain ball - standard velocity.  I kept getting FTF every couple rounds, some would have a light primer strikes, some would not. No further baffle strikes; occasionally would get the odd 2-3 round burst.  Took suppressor off- and it ran like a champ????  Put suppressor back on - and FTF would ensue.  

I am thinking that the culprit is the lighter HBI trigger springs - and my gut tells me to switch back to factory springs.  As for the subs the LGS dude said that Scorpions dont like 147 grain subs- which I cant quite rationalize, but ok whatever.  

What am I missing here?  The Griffin can is my first suppressor, so knowing that I already out of the gate have had a mild baffle strike, leaves me feeling all sorts of funny inside.  Not to mention the introduction or FTF.

FWIW - I am using a Griffin Tri Lug system.
View Quote

I had a 1% FTF rate for the first 1000 rounds. CZ gave me a new extractor, springs, etc. Haven't had any other FTF's since so I'm not sure what that was about. Was shelved as a defense gun until I got it figured out. Not exactly sure what it was but it isn't happening any longer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By inzane123:

Why change the foreend?  Just put some index clips on it , it fills the hand nicely.  The only thing that has to get changed out IMO is the safety selector.  The stock one had my thumb knuckle bleeding after 200 rounds.  I put on the mini-AK selector to fix this problem.  Also changed the grip, but this was mainly for looks.
View Quote

Just seemed like something I see done by a lot of Scorp owners.  I wouldn't until I had some time with it to see how it felt and functioned.  But also, maybe, to limit the amount of OD Green.  That was a big chunk of the question here.  To buy OD Green to save a few bucks, or not.  

Rob
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Teddydog:

Just seemed like something I see done by a lot of Scorp owners.  I wouldn't until I had some time with it to see how it felt and functioned.  But also, maybe, to limit the amount of OD Green.  That was a big chunk of the question here.  To buy OD Green to save a few bucks, or not.  

Rob
View Quote

You can always paint it.  Black tiger stripes would look cool on one.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By inzane123:Why change the foreend?  Just put some index clips on it , it fills the hand nicely.
View Quote

To each their own, but the handguard on the Scorpion is my least favorite thing about the gun--other than the safety.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JK-919:
Do I need to worry about the barrel nut coming loose under firing when using a pakse handguard?  Hand tight + 1/8-1/4 turn seems like nothing compared to the 10 pounds of threadlocker they dump on it from the factory.
View Quote

Hand tight + 1/8 or 1/4 turn + thread locker And you’ll be gtg.

I’ve used 10pounds of medium strength thread locker and never had an issue.
Can be easily removed without using a torch.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:42:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTHP] [#6]
I've had zero fails with my evo.

I run a octane 9hd and hand cast 150 gr lead sized to .355 with 3.2 grns bullseye.

No idea what he means by it doesn't like 147 gr. Just blowing smoke up your arse i think.

I check all nuns with a mag or two for keyholing then never shoot un suppressed after that.
I've not shot in suppressed nor any factory ammo since.
So far 100% reliable.

How the hell did you get a baffle strike on a new can and new gun?

Is the ammo keyholing?

Something is rotten in denmark and someone owes you a new can either bad threads, barrel, or ammo.

Where you using the factory evo threads or a adapter between it and the can?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting in regards to extractor and springs.  I have not yet been able to get back to the range to test and confirm function with the added spacer, and re-set back to stock springs.  Last range visit it appeared to be extracting everything just as it had been for 1000's of rounds previously.

I will keep this in mind if I have further issues, once I confirm function.  Id really like to have the HBI trigger spring in there- and maybe that spacer was the main culprit- but for now- Im back at ground zero and will slowly integrate HBI back into the trigger pack
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I ended up buying a black S1.  In a couple of weeks, probably, KY Gun will get it to my dealer, then I'll have to wait for the stupid WA "background check" period.  Maybe have it in hand by Easter.

rob
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Just noticed ETS is making Scorpion Mags;

It has probably been discussed in the thread but I missed it.

What is the verdict?

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BGENE:

What is the verdict?

View Quote

Probably like most other things ETS makes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By new21022:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By new21022:
Originally Posted By BGENE:

What is the verdict?

Thanks, roll of the dice, some positive reviews, some not.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost bought some of those 40rd ETS mags the other day from LGS. Then I saw “used” Glock mags and bought a handful of OEM G19 mags that look brand new instead.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
This is probably answered somewhere in the 240 pages, but I'm not finding a definitive answer easily.

Does the SB Tactical folding brace require any other parts or adapters to fit to the pistol?  Or is is a complete kit?  Talking about the part "SBTEVO" that retails for $199 and sometimes better.  I see some places selling their own adapter either with or without the SB brace itself.  But is a separate adapter needed, or desirable for some reason?  I have and SB folding brace on my Zenith MP5 clone and it works just fine.

I might SBR the Scorp eventually, but it would be in line behind a couple other guns, including the Zenith and an Uzi carbine.

Thanks

Rob
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By new21022:Probably like most other things ETS makes.
View Quote

That good huh? Might have to check them out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Teddydog:
This is probably answered somewhere in the 240 pages, but I'm not finding a definitive answer easily.

Does the SB Tactical folding brace require any other parts or adapters to fit to the pistol?  Or is is a complete kit?  Talking about the part "SBTEVO" that retails for $199 and sometimes better.  I see some places selling their own adapter either with or without the SB brace itself.  But is a separate adapter needed, or desirable for some reason?  I have and SB folding brace on my Zenith MP5 clone and it works just fine.

I might SBR the Scorp eventually, but it would be in line behind a couple other guns, including the Zenith and an Uzi carbine.

Thanks

Rob
View Quote

You will not need any additional parts or adapter.  The brace comes with the adapter built on the end of the brace.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]
5 years later I finally have this set up to where I actually like it. Now I just need to work on a front sling mounting system that will makes sense and wait for the DA Wolfman to be released from jail

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Got some gen 3 CZ 30 rounders swapped out under warranty by CZ because cracked gen 2 feed lips. Third times the charm? One thing I am sad to report is they haven't beefed up or changed the material that the floor plate is made of. Don't ever drop a CZ Scorpion mag on a hard surface in the cold or loaded. The floor plates split very easily. I'm surprised but having dealt with CZ over the past several years I can tell you it takes them several generations to get it right. Maybe gen 4 mags will have a proper base plate that can take a hit. Got a ton of Magpul 35 round magazines as well. I'd bet $87 dollars the Magpul magazines don't crack when dropped loaded or in the cold.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:
5 years later I finally have this set up to where I actually like it. Now I just need to work on a front sling mounting system that will makes sense and wait for the DA Wolfman to be released from jail

https://i.imgur.com/u46Vma0.jpg
View Quote

Looks nice man. You happy with that stock grip angle! Just got a Strike Industries grip and I am really happy with it, was the final piece to my build after years!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HTHF:
Got some gen 3 CZ 30 rounders swapped out under warranty by CZ because cracked gen 2 feed lips. Third times the charm? One thing I am sad to report is they haven't beefed up or changed the material that the floor plate is made of. Don't ever drop a CZ Scorpion mag on a hard surface in the cold or loaded. The floor plates split very easily. I'm surprised but having dealt with CZ over the past several years I can tell you it takes them several generations to get it right. Maybe gen 4 mags will have a proper base plate that can take a hit. Got a ton of Magpul 35 round magazines as well. I'd bet $87 dollars the Magpul magazines don't crack when dropped loaded or in the cold.
View Quote

if magpuls for mp5 mags fit, install those...then falling mags never land on the baseplates.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:08:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lok993] [#21]
How hard is it to convert a 7 inch gun to a micro with the K kit from HB industries? I want a very compact gun, so the Micro from CZ does have some appeal as its already built however I don't love the inch shorter barrel vs the HB kit, I know its probably trivial to overall performance but I dont really like the brake on the micro or the fact that the end of the barrel is a inch under the handguard which limits suppressor and muzzle device selection. Or maybe the real answer is stick with 7 inches. The original use case was an HD gun that could also be very light an compact to go in a backpack, but the backpack gun use case is a bit less relevant today than it was when I originally thought of it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lok993:
How hard is it to convert a 7 inch gun to a micro with the K kit from HB industries? I want a very compact gun, so the Micro from CZ does have some appeal as its already built however I don't love the inch shorter barrel vs the HB kit, I know its probably trivial to overall performance but I dont really like the brake on the micro or the fact that the end of the barrel is a inch under the handguard which limits suppressor and muzzle device selection. Or maybe the real answer is stick with 7 inches. The original use case was an HD gun that could also be very light an compact to go in a backpack, but the backpack gun use case is a bit less relevant today than it was when I originally thought of it.
View Quote

I did it so Can’t be that hard. HBI has detailed instructions and videos. I had a Gen 1 so the conversion required some additional modification but now I essentially have a Gen 2 with the conversion
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

if magpuls for mp5 mags fit, install those...then falling mags never land on the baseplates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HTHF:

The way I run my Scorpion magpuls on the mags would be in the way. The base plates aren't robust enough for me and for the price of those magazines I would expect more.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lok993:
View Quote

It's pretty easy as long as you have the right tools especially the wrench for the barrel nut. And yes the HBI K kit is super nice especially if you go with tri-lug

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:16:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Valravn] [#25]

View Quote

They don't fit.  You will tear them getting them on.  Too small for the evo mags sadly.  BTDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Bummer, but I appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I have an original Scorpion with the 18x1 threads.  I want to get them re-threaded 1/2x28.  Do I have to remove the barrel from the trunnion?  I have the Pakse handguards and the nut removal tool so I already have the handguards off.  I was just hoping I wouldn't have to fight with getting the barrel out of the trunnion and risk messing it up when I go to put it back together.  My gut says I will have to remove it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#28]
class 3 machine is the go-to for threading old 18x1 Scrops. He did mine. I forget how much disassembly I had to do, but he does barreled AKs and stuff so it doesn't seem like you'd have to break down a scorpion much. He's active here on arfcom--has a thread in the EE.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
I have an original Scorpion with the 18x1 threads.  I want to get them re-threaded 1/2x28.  Do I have to remove the barrel from the trunnion?  I have the Pakse handguards and the nut removal tool so I already have the handguards off.  I was just hoping I wouldn't have to fight with getting the barrel out of the trunnion and risk messing it up when I go to put it back together.  My gut says I will have to remove it.
View Quote

I thought about getting mine rethreaded up ended up buying the micro conversion kit so I now have a sweet setup and for probably about the same cost of a rethread
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Class 3 has done 3 of my barrels and 2 of my scorpion barrels. Great guy and fast turnaround.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I just did the swap this afternoon. I have an S1 that I converted to a ‘K’ with the ILWT tri lug/threaded barrel.

1) Barrel nut too is required.
2) A breaker bar plus an extension helps (slip a pipe over the ratchet handle).
3) Remove the trigger housing, grip, stocks, braces, whatever.
4) Place the upper in a vise securing the HANDGUARD ONLY, not the receiver body. If you break the receiver, your SOL. If you break the handguard, then you can just cut the barrel and handguard in half with a saw if you had too.
5) That barrel nut is snug AF. Heat may help but I did not need it. Once it’s loose, slow turns or you may dent the handguard or scratch sections of the barrel if the barrel nut wrench slips.
6) You don’t need to remove the handguard and barrel completely. 20 rotations of so is just enough that you can slide the handguard forward enough that you get the receiver out of the indent on the top of the handguard. This make it nice as the stock handguard and barrel are ready for re-install if you so choose.
7) Beer.
8) —> 12) Follow install instructions.

It’s pretty easy. Torque it properly and it will shoot. Makes for a great afternoon project. I’ll post a pic when mine is done.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I put the trunnion on upside down and did not realize it until after I slid it all of the way down. I had the Scorpion dissembled already since I was swapping barrels but I found the best way to get the trunnion of was to point the barrel down on something firm but soft, carpet worked. Place a hockey puck on edge on the trunnion and smack it a few times with the armors hammer. Came right off.

Armors block might work too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I finally got my vise mounted, a 15mm crowfoot wrench, and a 3/8" breaker bar to try to separate my barrel from trunnion.  I used a torch to head the trunnion and put it in my vise.  Holy smokes that thing is tight.  I ended up bending the crowfoot wrench instead of loosening the barrel from the trunnion.  I don't know if I should try another crowfoot, more heat, or what.  I didn't want to heat it too much in case I ruin something.  I used the torch for about 30-45 seconds (the tip of the torch was glowing) and gave it a try for a few seconds then took it back out and heated it up again.  Smoke was coming out of the end of the barrel so it seems like it at least heated the whole way through.  I might have to find a pipe to extend my breaker bar.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I finally got my vise mounted, a 15mm crowfoot wrench, and a 3/8" breaker bar to try to separate my barrel from trunnion.  I used a torch to head the trunnion and put it in my vise.  Holy smokes that thing is tight.  I ended up bending the crowfoot wrench instead of loosening the barrel from the trunnion.  I don't know if I should try another crowfoot, more heat, or what.  I didn't want to heat it too much in case I ruin something.  I used the torch for about 30-45 seconds (the tip of the torch was glowing) and gave it a try for a few seconds then took it back out and heated it up again.  Smoke was coming out of the end of the barrel so it seems like it at least heated the whole way through.  I might have to find a pipe to extend my breaker bar.
View Quote

Just to have the barrel rethreaded?  Not required.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SilasB:

Just to have the barrel rethreaded?  Not required.
View Quote

That would certainly make things easier.  I'll take the barrel and trunnion assembly to my local shop and see if they can do it.  For some reason I thought it just had to be a stripped barrel to thread it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Rob - Background check was quick for me, roughly 48 hours. Scorpions are pistols and are not considered "semi-automatic's" so you do not have to wait that 10-day waiting period.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bkpkr] [#38]
View Quote

class 3 machine is the go-to for threading old 18x1 Scrops. He did mine. I forget how much disassembly I had to do, but he does barreled AKs and stuff so it doesn't seem like you'd have to break down a scorpion much. He's active here on arfcom--has a thread in the EE.
View Quote

Been wanting to have this done as well. Thanks jekbrown and the others who recommended Morgan.

ETA: My Evo is now a box of parts in anticipation of having this done.

Mine will be to Morgan shortly...$75 round trip.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Need some sling ideas. Anyone mind sharing or has that been asked 1000x?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:09:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#41]
looking for a stock for my SBR. Wanted a full length stock with no rubber butt pad. Curious if anyone could point me in a good direction.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
looking for a stock for my SBR. Wanted a full length stock with no rubber butt pad. Curious if anyone could point me in a good direction.
View Quote

Check out the Safety Harbor Firearms KES stock for the Scorpion Evo
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Dferg10:

Check out the Safety Harbor Firearms KES stock for the Scorpion Evo
View Quote

That thing looks sweet but I should have mentioned a folding stock.
Lol sorry. I had a factory evo stock that was apparently a Gen 1? So it had no rubber butt plate. That thing was sweet, stupid of me to sell it. And IIRC it was only like $100. Dumb.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dferg10] [#44]

That thing looks sweet but I should have mentioned a folding stock.
Lol sorry. I had a factory evo stock that was apparently a Gen 1? So it had no rubber butt plate. That thing was sweet, stupid of me to sell it. And IIRC it was only like $100. Dumb.
View Quote

Maybe a Tommy Built UMP stock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Dferg10:

Maybe a Tommy Built UMP stock.
View Quote

Okay that's really cool. Probably going to go that route.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Okay that's really cool. Probably going to go that route.
View Quote

So I found the perfect stock BUT it's out of stock, lol. The one thing I didn't like about the UMP was there is no locking mechanism in the folded position.
But those Lage stocks...dang are they cool, full LOP, no rubber butt pad and the locking mech looks very solid.
But...OOS.
Oh well, just have to wait then, lol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#47]
The one thing I didn't like about the UMP was there is no locking mechanism in the folded position.
View Quote

The UMP does have a stock catch at the front of the ejection port.  The USC doesn't have this but it can be added as part of a UMP conversion.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#48]
My Silencerco Hybrid 46 got out of jail this week:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Barrel came back from Morgan yesterday. Just got it put back together. So happy to not use a crappy thread adapter any more.

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Did you just remove the barrel nut and pull the barrel out of the handguard/receiver and send it to him or do you have to take off the rear barrel block? How much was the threading?
Page / 251
CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 Pistol (Page 240 of 251)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top