Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2019 3:28:11 PM EDT
I've pretty much decided to get a 45-70 as my new hunting rifle. Been using a pre '64 model 70 30-06.

I kind of like the stainless big loop model but it annoys me everyone thinks I want to hunt dinosaurs.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895sbl

I like the brown laminate version but I can't see those sights for shit so would want to put that XS rail sight thing on it. Can I?
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895gbl

The dark series one seems kind of interesting but a painted stock seems cheesy. Would a parkerized barrel be better than stainless out in the weather?
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895-dark-series

As you can see, I like the big loop and pistol grip models.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear the SBL is good for dinosaurs
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear the SBL is good for dinosaurs
View Quote
I hear GD is great for GD comments.

OP I prefer the GS YMMV
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I hear GD is great for GD comments.

OP I prefer the GS YMMV
View Quote
That's the other one I liked, but I think I prefer the pistol grip stock. I have straight stock '94 in 30-30 but for a heavier recoiling round I thought the pistol grip might be better. Do I have that backwards?

How hard to swap for the big loop?
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the brown laminate and put a $20 fiber optic sight on it from amazon.

Can see it just fine in the light. I use the red pipe.

18” barrel 6+1 is great for 45-70.

Hiviz
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have the brown laminate and put a $20 fiber optic sight on it from amazon.

Can see it just fine in the light. I use the red pipe.

18” barrel 6+1 is great for 45-70.

Hiviz
View Quote
I have a smallish 2-8x vortex scope I was planning to use. I like the rail of the GBL for that so was thinking I'd just get the rail for whatever one I ended up with. The brown laminate is probably the one I'm leaning toward. Just couldn't decide if stainless was going to be significantly better in the weather to warrant the price jump.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

I have one of the original guide guns. I hope the new ones shoot as well.

I don’t know how the recoil is with a pistol grip but it can be harsh with heavy loads in this straight grip. With factory mild loads it is moderate recoil.  I like my 2x scope on mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#7]
And it is an elk hammer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I want a stainless 45-70 trapper w/ dark mahogany stock bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the 1895 gbl and tried hunting with the stock sights. After one season I put on a set of skinner sights. Definitely money well spent.
I really like the choice of aperture sizes and they went on real easy. Imho they far outclass the xs ghost ring set.

If you are looking for a hassle free finish the new gbls ain't good. Mine flash rusted a lot after the rain hit it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want a stainless 45-70 trapper w/ dark mahogany stock bad.
View Quote
While they do offer a lot of options, none are really the one I want. The GBL with the laminate stock is probably closest, but I want different sights. Easy enough to change. Although I think I'd prefer stainless in the 18 1/2 in barrel with the full magazine and laminate stock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought the 1895 gbl and tried hunting with the stock sights. After one season I put on a set of skinner sights. Definitely money well spent.
I really like the choice of aperture sizes and they went on real easy. Imho they far outclass the xs ghost ring set.

If you are looking for a hassle free finish the new gbls ain't good. Mine flash rusted a lot after the rain hit it.
View Quote
I assume you're referring to the blued barrel with brown laminate stock. What rusted? Barrel? Receiver? Something else? This is the model I'm zeroing in on but want something that will be somewhat weather-proof.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I assume you're referring to the blued barrel with brown laminate stock. What rusted? Barrel? Receiver? Something else? This is the model I'm zeroing in on but want something that will be somewhat weather-proof.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes blued barrel with the brown laminate stock. It was spitting rain the first day of gun season here last December. The whole rifle got wet. Hence the whole thing had rust on it in no more than 12 hours.

It whiped away after a bath in clp. No permanent damage. It was in a case for the afternoon hunt so that didn't help the situation. Next time that happens I'll make sure to bring it into camp to dry it out. And of course lube the piss out of it before taking it out in inclement weather.

Other than the new sights and some extra clp protection it's a great gun. Accurate and handy. I love what it does to the random coyote I get now and then.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like my GSBL.

The fiber optic sights are easy for my eyes to pick up.

I do wish it came with a rail and the option for XS sights.

I suspect I’ll add a cheap/short receiver rail so that I can add a red dot to my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really like my GSBL.

The fiber optic sights are easy for my eyes to pick up.

I do wish it came with a rail and the option for XS sights.

I suspect I’ll add a cheap/short receiver rail so that I can add a red dot to my rifle.
View Quote
Which one is the GSBL? I don't see that specific model.

Pretty sure Marlin uses S for stainless models and BL big loop lever. Not sure what the G is for as in like the GBL which is blued with laminate stock and big loop lever.

If the GS came with the big loop I might go for that, but probably going to get the GBL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

... I can't see those sights for shit ...

Are you saying you cannot use a rear aperture sight with a front post?

Would a parkerized barrel be better than stainless out in the weather?

No, it would not.  Both will likely require drying out the trigger parts and internals to prevent rusting but at least the exterior of the stainless model will not rust.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

... I can't see those sights for shit ...

Are you saying you cannot use a rear aperture sight with a front post?
View Quote
Aperture sights are okay. I see a blurry post inside a blurry circle. I can do okay with that as I can at least see things. Standard buckhorn sights have such a small notch that they are much harder for me to use.

The brown laminate one comes with buckhorn sights. The stainless SBL comes with the aperture and the one I'm leaning toward despite being a fair bit more expensive, but it does come with the better sights and the rail.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Aperture sights are okay. I see a blurry post inside a blurry circle. I can do okay with that as I can at least see things. Standard buckhorn sights have such a small notch that they are much harder for me to use.

The brown laminate one comes with buckhorn sights. The stainless SBL comes with the aperture and the one I'm leaning toward despite being a fair bit more expensive, but it does come with the better sights and the rail.
View Quote
You can get the XS Lever rail and put it on a 1895GBL yourself. They run about $165. I went with the standard X'S sight set for the 1895, and it ran me $90 shipped from Amazon. Went out today and shot 40 rounds: 10 at 25yrds to get the new sights printing POA on a one inch dot, then moved over to a 100yd range and got them setup for POA there. Had to back the rear aperture out about 8 turns to get rounds where I wanted them to go. Had a guy with a spotting scope help me so I didn't have to walk down range to check target after each adjustment.

I was shooting 405gr cast, over 12.5gr Unique, WW case, WLR primer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I would get a SS model over anything else with a nice dark wood. It'd be a looker for sure and handle the weather. My SS 336 30-30 has SS innards also.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't found one yet, but pretty sure I'm going to get the SBL.

With that in mind, what scope?

I have a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x that I was going to put on, but I'm kind of interested in a scout scope. The Leupold FX 2.5x is interesting but I'm wondering if it's bit underpowered. I have a fixed 4x scope on my 30-06 and at 100 yards it's not quite as much as I'd like but I can manage. 2.5x seems pushing it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a Leupold vx2 2-7 on my 444 and it worked well.

I turn 45 next year and I'm starting to look for a 45-70 made in 1975.....wish me luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the GSBL because I like dinosaur killing and I like black finishes, so now I can have my cake and eat it too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top