Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2018 5:44:17 PM EDT
I'm an idiot apparently.  While disassembling my mid-80's Marlin 1894 to install the new MI rail I screwed up badly.

The handguard would not come off after removing the side screws.  So a block of wood and hammer were used.  Split the wooden handguard.

Then remembered I had a firearms manual that covered the Marlin 336.

The front sight needs removed.  Then the clamp that holds the magazine tube to the barrel comes next.  Then the handguard SLIDES FORWARD AND OFF THE MAGAZINE TUBE.

Repaired the split handguard and the glue line is barely noticeable.  The original buttstock might get some sanding and a coat of flat black paint anyway.

Then the kicker, not caused by me...the MI supplied screws are a finer thread than the screws holding my handguard cap on.  Done till Monday when my local bolt/screw company is open.

The MI rail is very nice, and my spare TLR-1 HL is mounted at 9 o'clock.  This rifle has been used for hunting a lot back when I was involved in slaying four footed creatures, so it already has enough character dings/scratches to make the split handguard less of an aggravation.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-marmr.htm

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Rethreaded the holes in oem "forearm tenon" thingy and proceeded with installing the MI lever action rail on my 1894.  Install was ok, used super glue to hold the "washers" in place and installed the supplied screws.  The end result is what Col. Cooper called an Urban Assault Rifle decades ago.  TLR-1 HL switch is ergonomically very satisfactory.  Might get some range time in the next few days.

The MI rail looks great!

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Experience is what you get after you need it.

Happens to me a couple of times a month.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#5]
After the fact I found a milled forearm tip tenon at Numrich that looks much more robust than the stamped steel original.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Photos?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top