Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2018 7:37:16 PM EDT
I've been thinking of adding one to my collection. Never owned a lever gun and I don't hunt. It would just be used for punching holes or shooting steel. With that said I'm thinking .223 for the caliber. Any comments? Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a review of them in this months American Rifleman.  I don't know if it is 100% true or not, but the review stated that you are not supposed to strip it for cleaning from the breach, and have to use a pull through cleaning system instead.  That did not give me the warm fuzzies YMMV
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a review of them in this months American Rifleman.  I don't know if it is 100% true or not, but the review stated that you are not supposed to strip it for cleaning from the breach, and have to use a pull through cleaning system instead.  That did not give me the warm fuzzies YMMV
View Quote
That is unusual and a bit concerning. One of the most endearing features of the Marlin action is the ability to field-strip for cleaning from the breech; I hope Henry didn't eliminate that with this action design.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is unusual and a bit concerning. One of the most endearing features of the Marlin action is the ability to field-strip for cleaning from the breech; I hope Henry didn't eliminate that with this action design.
View Quote
Hopefully it is just a recommendation and not reality.  I really want to like Henry, but I hate all the dumb stuff they do.  Here is a pistol caliber centerfire lever action, but it is tube fed.  Or this new one uses a detachable mag... but you have to clean it with a pull through or from the muzzle.  Both are epic fails if you want to use a suppressor, or shoot a lot of cast boolits.  Sigh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top